• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Echoes' CFB Blog 2011

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The season officially starts tomorrow with a few Thursday games and gets into full swing on Saturday. There are so many interesting storylines this year and I can't wait to see how everything plays out.

Last year I had an Ohio State thread where I posted my thoughts on each OSU game. This year I thought it would be more fun to do write-ups on other games. So each week I'll let you guys pick which game you want me to watch and then I'll post a detailed analysis for it.

Your Week 1 options are:

South Florida at Notre Dame
BYU at Ole Miss
Oregon vs LSU
SMU at Texas A&M

BigBob

Registered Member
I'd prefer to see something on the South Florida at Notre Dame game. It has "upset" written all over it. Plus, the Oregon vs LSU game isn't going to be all exciting as it was because of all the problems they've been going through and the starters they may miss.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yeah, I'd rather not write up the Oregon game either. I only listed it as an option because I'll definitely be watching it. Sucks that Georgia/Boise State is on at the same time. That will probably be the better game.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Definitely Notre Dame vs. South Florida. You're pretty high on the Irish this year, so I want you to pay close attention to them and give me your thoughts after watching them play a full game.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I would say ND/USF as well.

It is one of the games I will be watching tomorrow on top of whatever game at noon I watch and Boise St./Georgia at night.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Personally I am most looking forward to Boise and Georgia but I can understand why you'd put Oregon and LSU on here instead.

I'll go with the consensus though and say South Florida and Notre Dame.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Week 1 - South Florida Bulls 23, Notre Dame 20

I had really high expectations for Notre Dame this year, so I was definitely surprised by their terrible performance today. The game wasn't even as close as the final score indicates. They were never in it after falling behind 16-0 in the second quarter.

The story of this game for the Irish was their self-inflicted mistakes. They had a really nice opening drive, only to fumble on the 1 yard line and have USF return it all the way for a score. They also threw two interceptions inside the USF 5 yard line. They turned the ball over on a muffed punt as well. Five turnovers for Notre Dame to USF's zero. A missed field goal and 73 penalty yards didn't help the cause either.

Take away most of those mistakes and Notre Dame probably wins this game in a blowout. They outgained USF 508-254 and had seven more first downs. The offense was able to move the ball for most of the game with a nice balanced attack. Cierre Wood was impressive and rushed for over 100 yards. Michael Floyd is one of the best receivers in the country. He had 12 catches for 154 yards and two touchdowns. They definitely have the weapons. Quarterback is kind of a question mark though. Dayne Crist had a poor first half and was replaced by Tommy Rees in the second half. Rees came in and played fairly well, throwing for 296 yards. My guess is that he'll be the starter in week 2.

I think the strength of this Irish team is the defense. USF only had one drive longer than 50 yards and they were held to just 3 yards per rush. Don't count ND out of the BCS just yet. The talent is definitely there on both sides of the ball and their mistakes today are correctable.

I'm not sure what to expect from USF this season after watching them today. Their defense will keep them in a lot of games, but they didn't seem to have any play-makers on offense. They had no plays of 20+ yards and were never able to move the ball with any consistency. Most of their scoring today was set up by their defense as well as Irish penalties. It will be interesting to see if they can finish in the top 2 or 3 of the Big East.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I'm not sure what to expect from USF this season after watching them today. Their defense will keep them in a lot of games, but they didn't seem to have any play-makers on offense. They had no plays of 20+ yards and were never able to move the ball with any consistency. Most of their scoring today was set up by their defense as well as Irish penalties. It will be interesting to see if they can finish in the top 2 or 3 of the Big East.
While they may have looked weak here, I think they will finish top 3 in the conference. The Big East is really week below WVU, USF, Pitt, and Cincy... so they can easily finish in the top 3.

Your blog has given me inspiration to form my own CFB Blog... hahaha. Mine might pop up Friday! :lol:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Your blog has given me inspiration to form my own CFB Blog... hahaha. Mine might pop up Friday! :lol:
You definitely should. The more college football talk we can get going, the better!

Anyway, there are some interesting games to choose from this week. Let me know which one you guys want me to do.

Arizona at Oklahoma State (Thursday)
Missouri at Arizona State (Friday)
Alabama at Penn State (Saturday)
South Carolina at Georgia
BYU at Texas

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I won't be able to watch any games this weekend since I'll be out of town. Kind of sad I'm going to miss Penn State vs. Alabama, which has a chance to be a terrific game. That's the one I would like you to watch and give your thoughts on.