• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Ebola Scare

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
On a scale of 1-10 how worried are you about Ebola and the threat of global pandemic? For me, I'm at a 2. If we see an explosion of cases in the next few weeks, I could easily go to a 7-8.
I'm just not really worried at this time, it seems like it could be just another media freak-out, lets spend more money deal. The next few weeks will decide if the scare is real or not, I think.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
While I'm not real worried about a global epidemic I am concerned. If we keep getting cases here and things don't turn around in Africa in the next few weeks I am going to get real worried. Look how many mistakes have been made here with just Duncan and the people that caught it off him. If there had been several Duncans I think we would have a problem.

If there is civil war in Liberia then I will be worried for sure because people will be fleeing to other countries and there will be blood spilled. Both further spreading the disease. From what I have been reading that could very well happen.

Now we also find that the incubation period for about 3% of the cases could be up to 42 days but the CDC is just going with 21 days. Sometimes I wonder if the CDC knows what they are doing.

If the government would stop travel to and from infected countries I would be less concerned.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
While I'm not real worried about a global epidemic I am concerned. If we keep getting cases here and things don't turn around in Africa in the next few weeks I am going to get real worried. Look how many mistakes have been made here with just Duncan and the people that caught it off him. If there had been several Duncans I think we would have a problem.

If there is civil war in Liberia then I will be worried for sure because people will be fleeing to other countries and there will be blood spilled. Both further spreading the disease. From what I have been reading that could very well happen.

Now we also find that the incubation period for about 3% of the cases could be up to 42 days but the CDC is just going with 21 days. Sometimes I wonder if the CDC knows what they are doing.

If the government would stop travel to and from infected countries I would be less concerned.
All of the wrong mistakes were made by the CDC and the administration. Its very concerning that they could take a minor trajedy and turn it into widespread panic. But for now anyway, I think the individual doctors and nurses have enough sense to treat this the right way and stem off a pandemic. What gives me pause is the worry that the virus is much more contagious than we've been told.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'll say I'm at a 4 right now. I do see the potential for a huge problem but so far it hasn't hit close enough to home for me to be very worried.

It's not spreading super quickly and while there have been some cases in the US, we haven't had a lot. Even with the couple cases picked up by medical staff, it is generally contained.

If Ebola cases start to accelerate in America then I'll certainly feel more concerned.

My picking 4 does not go to say that I think the Administration or the CDC is handling this well. They're STILL defending the idea of not banning or at least severely restricting travel to and from impacted nations. This is an indefensible position and it's unbelievable that anybody would look at this situation and say to themselves "yeah, that makes perfect sense."

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Thankfully here in the UK we have seen virtually no deaths due to ebola, it seems to be something that has not come into the country but am I worried? No, not really. I do not wish to make light of what is happening at all, honestly that is not my intention but I could walk out of my door right now and be killed in tens of different ways including not looking for oncoming traffic correctly rather than contracting the virus.

What is happening right now is very serious there is no denying that, but I think that things have to be put into perspective a little, it is very upsetting that the virus has made it into the US at all but has it spread to the point where it is going to reach most of us?

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'm in the high 1's at the moment. It won't rise until I see Colonel Daniels roaming around my neighborhood in a hazmat suit.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
All of the wrong mistakes were made by the CDC and the administration. Its very concerning that they could take a minor trajedy and turn it into widespread panic. But for now anyway, I think the individual doctors and nurses have enough sense to treat this the right way and stem off a pandemic. What gives me pause is the worry that the virus is much more contagious than we've been told.
I am also concerned if its more contagious than they say. Then I think if it were looks like those people that were in the apartment with Duncan would have come down with it. They could have been avoiding him, I don't know.

I put some blame on the media for people being panicked. The hospital mess ups didn't help but I blame that on the hospital. At least now hospitals will be more on their guard for Ebola. The CDC telling that nurse she could fly with a fever was incredibly stupid. I just can't believe they told her that. It mind boggling.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
On a scale of 1-10 for panic Im still on a 1. Yeah its a hardcore disease but the only people getting it are the people in West Africa and healthcare workers.
What Im thinking is that maybe you have to have close contact with Ebola victims for a long time to get it. I mean has anyone else read about anyone but healthcare workers getting it in the US. And the people that were around Duncan without protective gear for a few days didnt get it either. So maybe it takes longer than a few days to get it.

If I read about somebody in the US getting it that isnt a healthcare worker then maybe my panic level will rise.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some people are really getting scared over this. Which I can't blame someone for not wanting to shake the hand of someone that just returned from a Ebola infected country. That's just good sense. However what this woman said wasn't necessary at all, it was mean.

When Zuru Pewu picked up her 4-year-old son, Micah, from kindergarten at a Staten Island, New York, public school recently, a woman pointed at her in front of about 30 parents and their children, and started shouting.

‘These African b*tches!’: With Ebola panic running high, black immigrants face ostracism

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
This isn't mean or nasty, those words imply there may be a basis for what was said, this is ignorant, moronic and racist. Yes there is fear but to me this is racism using Ebola as a way to justify it.