• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Ebola breaks out on a scale never seen before

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Nearly 40 years after first striking fear with a painful, grotesque set of symptoms, the Ebola virus has now killed at least 88 people in the West African countries of Guinea and Liberia.

And the worry is: It could get a lot worse.

Ebola breaks out on a scale never seen before - CBS News
This time the outbreak is more widespread which is worrying doctors. Also this is the most deadly strain of the disease. They are trying to isolate the people with it but because of their fear of authorities they are trying to escape. Which could spread the disease further.

This is one disease we don't want to get out of hand. Even a air France jet was detained in Paris after it returned from Guinea because a passenger was sick. Luckily this person didn't have Ebola.

Do you have any concerns about the spread of Ebola?

dDave

V.I.P.
Admittedly, I don't know a ton about Africa but given that much of the continent lacks modern medicine/sanitation as we know it in the West I think this could turn out to be a big problem. It could also spread to Europe if something goes wrong.

We shouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions but we should consider that a massive viruse such as this has spread in the past and killed up to 30% of the worlds population (black death)

Only 1 in 10 victims survives? And they say it's highly infectious, that's really scary. It sounds as if it could move to epidemic level very quickly.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I think that the world would act quickly to eradicate the outbreak before it spread very far in what we consider to be first world countries. We know exactly how to stop a virus like this in its tracks.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The only way to stop it is isolation. There is no cure for it.

Taliesin

Registered Member
God. Then I hope it doesn't spread. This kind of thing does concern me quite a bit. We may be quite advanced in our medical knowledge and technology nowadays, but that doesn't mean that we can become smug or complacent when it comes to stuff like this. It really wouldn't take a lot for something like this get completely out of hand at all.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Right now it takes direct contact with someone that is infected that's why it can be contained. However if it ever becomes airborne we are in trouble. It will spread far and wide killing most.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
"The situation is serious, you can't say it is under control as cases are continuing and it is spreading geographically," Dr Pierre Formenty, a WHO expert who recently returned from Guinea, told a news briefing in Geneva on Wednesday.

West Africa Ebola outbreak still spreading, "situation serious": WHO
Seems this disease is still spreading and into places previously unaffected. They also say this is a new strain. Hope that doesn't mean its easier to become infected and soon will be showing up in other countries.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I think it will spread because they dont even know where it started and that could be anywhere in Africa. And even if they do find out where it started then they still goota deal with politics and if theres any uprisings in Africa then that could stop WHO from containing the disease.
But they could keep it from spreading to peaceful countries by having medical inspections at airports and checkpoints on highways.

Well no hunting in Botswana or Zambia this summer anyway with the hunting bans so no reason to go to Africa anyway. I just hope it doesnt reach Europe and the US but it would probably be easier to control there.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Whilst I agree medicine has advanced to a place where we are far more equipped to contain such a virus before it ever spreads as much as it has in the past, ease of world wide travel could counter this by spreading this so fast and far that it could still be catastrophic. Whilst not ideal, I think if it broke out in Guinea and Liberia, it's far better than if it broke out in China or Dubai or somewhere tens of thousands of people travel into and out of daily.

Hopefully this won't turn out to be too severe. It's a horrible disease.