ebay veterans - do you mind helping newbies with advice?

MJonesMBA2001

Registered Member
I am a fairly new ebay seller, and I have asked a few veteran and successful sellers questions, about getting pointers on my auctions, and mainly, what some of the best selling items are.

For the most part, the sellers are always glad to help me. It seems like people realize that there's enough to go around, and are glad to give advice.

Do you think that's true??

Oh yeah, I've never gotten specific answers about what the best things to sell are! :lol:

OK then. I guess that's a resounding YES! :)

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Look for items that are on sale after rebate at Best Buy, CompUSA, and other electronics stores. These items usually sell for a lot more on eBay. I bought mp3 players for $50-$100 off after rebate, and made $50-$100 back when selling these on eBay. I did this for a while a few years ago and probably made $500 in a few weeks time. Just look around for what's hot and sell that. :)

Mina

Registered Member
you can search for ending soonest, or you can also view completed auctions to see what the final value was and when

1_ares_1

Registered Member
I would have to remind ANYONE not to invest too much in inventory..you'll get stuck you know. If you put thing's up that are going to have to be purchased by yourself first... be absolutely sure you can make what you invested back quickly. Or try a wholesale company that lets you order items once you have sold them... some provide direct shipping to customers and even pictures to put in the listing.

MJonesMBA2001

Registered Member
Cool! Thanks - these are all good ideas!! I'm really liking ebay!!

Here's a question for you:
I've read that you should ALWAYS start your auctions out at $1 or less, and you should NEVER set a reserve price on ITEMS that you are selling. Even if it's something really expensive like a car or something, you shouldn't set e reserve price or a buy it now price.

Do you agree?

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's horrible advice. Start your items at a price that is close to what you wouldn't mind selling it for. Many people even do "Buy it Now" on their items and they list them at exactly the price they want. It all depends on the item, and how much you paid for it.

Either start it close to the price you want, or start it lower with a reserve.

LicentiousVenus

Registered Member
I haven't gotten much into the resale part of ebay yet....but i would think that a reserve is a good idea on expensive items...just so you won't get stuck selling it for a lot less...just kinda depends on how well you think it will sell...if you are positive it will go for the price you want either way...then don't put a reserve..but if you are afraid it may not sell well...then it is probably best to put a reserve on it...as far as buy it now goes..the worst thing about that is that it will more or less max out what you can get for the item...most won't pay over that price

Make sure that when you list you maximize the time your item will be seen on weekends....like list on a thursday night and do a 10 day auction...that way you get two weekends and it ends on a sunday evening

MJonesMBA2001

Registered Member
Cool - thank you all!

Do any of you have a Hudson's salvage store in your area? I'm thinking about visiting Hudson's frequently to look for bargainst to resell. A few months ago, they had the Star Wars trilogy DVD set for around $25 - I could kick myself for not buying a bunch of them!

MJonesMBA2001

Registered Member
Man, I know!! I just wasn't thinking straight when I saw them. No way I'll ever find a bargain like that again!!

Here's a question....
For an auction that you want to be a high profile auction, like my Haunted Running Shoes, do you do the featured plus thing or whatever for $19.95 to promote your item?

I guess if you did it that way, you'd have to either have your item start bidding where you'd make over the selling fees, or set a high enough reserve to make a profit.

Otherwise, I just do the gallery listing, no bold or shaded or anything else.