eBay purchased Skype

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
eBay purchased Skype which allows users to make phone calls on the internet free of charge. Is this really going to help get eBay for customers and make them more money? And is it really worth the approximately $4.2 billion that they spent to purchase it?

I am not really sure it is worth it. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Yeah, I don't really get it. It's like google purchasing AIM (a free service) for $4.2 billion!!!!!!! Just to give you the ability to make calls.. hmm... I don't really see the logic in it personally.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well eBay most likley plans to incorporate it so that eBay accounts can have an IM client through the Skype software.

And trust me, AIM would sell for an INSANE amount. It's only the single handed most popular Instant Messenger service out there.. Their ad revenue alone would be off the charts, even though I have never clicked an ad on AIM, and I don't think many people would. They see them though, and that helps build brand recognition.

Plus AOL owns AIM. It would never be an option for Google to purchase it, especially now that AOL Time Warner is in talks with Microsoft to combine efforts on at least some level to combat internet browsers like FireFox which threatens to become the #1 browser in the next 5 years.

Imagine is Gate's bought AOL ha. That would be something. I wonder how much it would go for. As far as web browsers go, mozilla used to be owned by netscape. Netscape is owned by AOL.... So I don't think mozilla is much of a concern as it's open source anyway. What microsoft or AOL time warner can do is study their code and make something better with all the financial backing they have.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes but remember that just because something is open source doesn't mean that it's free to modify and then sell. :)

It does give away all your secrets though.. no doubt about that.

I could be wrong, but Microsoft has a lot of pressure and regulations from the government when it comes to buying out other companies. A purchase on the scale of AOL would probably fall under some monopoly law.

True. I heard something about microsoft being complained against for doing stuff like that. They can do alot of damage, but the US government would stand in the way of that. Internet Explorer is owned by Microsoft, and that's the browser AOL uses. I think AOL should either develop its own browser in some 10.0 version or just don't even think about it because it's microsoft's problem anyway even though all AOL users use IE.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, unless they only use AOL to connect, and then boot up Firefox once the connection is established. :D

Yeah, you could do that ha. But most AOL users use the "aol browser" which is internet explorer built in. What do you use? I use IE. They say if it aint' broken, don't fix it lol. Nah I just dont' really see the need to get a new browser... IE serves me well.

IslandGuy

Registered Member
I think a lot of it has to do with mobile devices. The top 3 major search engines (Google, Yahoo, MSN) are all moving into the "messenger" world and an increasing amount of ads on mobile devices won't be far behind, IMHO.

AOL also now has a public portal ... you no longer have to "belong" to AOL to access a lot of what it offers ... just check it out at aol.com .... I think a lot of AOL users who pay every month don't know that yet.

Some have interconnecting agreements to supply ads to each other that pre-date the moves that have been made recently to diversify (remember when Google was a one-line search engine and now you can make it a desktop personalized to all your needs????) that they're looking to renegogiate out of or just waiting to expire.

As a small example, one smaller search engine used to have all their ads served up by Google, but just created their own ad product and know will serve up their ad on a page if they have one, and only put in a Google AdWords ad if they don't have a content-appropriate ad among their own advertisers. Don't think Google's too happy about it, but so far no legal moves that I know of.