eBay is being sued for allowing fake knock-off sales

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
http://techzap.net/index.php/2006/01/29/seeing-fakes-angry-traders-confront-ebay/

After getting sick of people selling knock-off items as originals on eBay, several people have now started to really do something. Apparently a jewelry company is suing eBay currently for facilitating the sale of illegal knock-off items.

Interesting. This could be a huge win for the little people against the man. :)

I just don't see how eBay can possibly police every item that's put up for auction.
I would have to say that it's on the buyers shoulders to do a little digging, I guess the old saying "if it seems to good to be true...." are still some great words to live by when it comes to a "great deal" on eBay.

Julie

Registered Member
AngelsPeak said:
I just don't see how eBay can possibly police every item that's put up for auction.
I agree. Plus something like this could end up hurting us sellers who are selling genuine products. Not only that, but if the buyer pays thru PayPal for the item, there's always the option of filing a complaint against the seller thru PayPal. I personally only buy from sellers that offer PayPal & offer PayPal buyer protection on their auctions. This way, if there is a problem, there's somewhere to go to get it solved if the seller is non-responsive. In addition, I read the description carefully to see if they offer refunds or contacting them if there is a problem. There are far too many sellers on eBay for them to be able to police stuff like this all the time.