• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

EB Games/Gamestop Ripp-off

Have you been ripped off by these guys?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

schmitty

Anybody who shops at EB Games/GameStop needs to know about their "in -store warranty". A friend of mine bought an Xbox 360 from EB Games and purchased the "no questions asked" warranty for $50. Here's what he got. A replacement Xbox with no questions asked and no manufacturers warranty anymore. Why, you may ask? I sent them an email and this was my reply:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.

It sounds like your system was replaced with a USED or refurbished
system, which is acceptable according to the terms of the Product
Replacement Plan (PRP). Please refer to the brochure explaining the
terms and conditions of the PRP. This USED or refurbished system is not
necessarily covered under the manufacturer warranty. Your original
receipt would only be the original XBOX 360, not the replacement.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Best Regards,
John
Customer Service Agent

Now, when you buy something, you expect them to replace your product and you expect the manufacturer's warranty still to be intact. Microsoft sent his machine back with a note saying that it had been tampered with.
So, for anyone Shopping around for a gaming system...just go to Walmart. You'll get the same thing for probably the same price or better.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
You realize that Microsoft would have also sent a refurb as well? If you read Microsoft's warranty, they have the right to "fix" your hardware and send it back to you. That includes sending back a completely different, but working Xbox 360.

Most stores will give you a refurb if you bring it back for warranty issues. Best Buy will give you a brand new one if "fixing it" fails 3 times.

I don't buy those warranties anyway anymore. At least not on videogame consoles.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
This is why I wait at least a year into a consoler's release before I buy one, becauase by then most of the major problems and glitches will be worked out.

Teorropy

I don't feel like I have ever been Ripped off from any stores. I always ask about the warranty and stuff before I purchase the item. That way if I don't like the warranty then I don't feel I have to get it. I am also not surpised by anything. It is also a way to make sure they keep to there bargin. Cause I write down who told me about it and on what day and time so I can let them now if they don't believe me.

schmitty

You realize that Microsoft would have also sent a refurb as well? If you read Microsoft's warranty, they have the right to "fix" your hardware and send it back to you. That includes sending back a completely different, but working Xbox 360.

Most stores will give you a refurb if you bring it back for warranty issues. Best Buy will give you a brand new one if "fixing it" fails 3 times.

I don't buy those warranties anyway anymore. At least not on videogame consoles.
Sure, Microsoft would send a refurb but at least it would have been covered under Microsoft's warranty BECAUSE it came from them.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
That is true. I guess that is annoying, but, I can't agree that it's a ripoff. TECHNICALLY it is in their fine print. Whether or not somebody told you this when you bought it is another thing though.

If they described it as a warranty that would continue even after a replacement then you did get mislead.