• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Eating Before Bedtime

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
At night seems to be the time I want to snack, which I have been trying to resist because it will cause you to gain weight. I think that is the biggest reason I have gained weight. I try to avoid eating at all, often unsuccessful, if its within two hours of my bedtime but for some reason when watching TV I want to snack and often that snack is sweet.

Not only will eating before bed make you gain weight it seems it can cause you to get type 2 diabetes, something I can live without.

http://news.yahoo.com/eating-night-really-gain-weight-153029424.html

How about you? Do you snack before bedtime? Have you gained weight because of it?

Stego

Registered Member
I usually have a late enough, big enough dinner to not be too hungry. But when I do want a snack at night, I make sure to pair it with something super high fiber to slow down the sugar or carbs. For some reason for years, Cheerios and soy milk has been my late night snack and served me well.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I went shopping today and bought ice cream. Now I'm afraid that later on this evening when I watch TV I will want to eat some. I love ice cream, well except there for a couple years, for some reason I just stopped eating it.

I should follow your diet Stego. Actually cereal makes a good snack. Much better than chips or something like that.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Soy milk and soy in general is notoriously difficult for the body to metabolize and is frequently linked to digestive upset. It is also not hormonally balanced, containing a high level of phyto-estrogen. Unless you have a specific intolerance to milk, it is suggested that you go with dairy rather than Soy products.

On another note, snacking, particularly snacking sweets, in very small quantites, drives up metabolic rate and primes the digestive system for absorbing nutrients from meals. It's good to keep some nuts on hand though to balance blood sugar if you end up going too long on quick-carbs. Dosing up on quick-carbs is also a great way to supercharge mental function prior to a test. The twinkie doesn't have to be your enemy, it can be your ally.

- Cham

Stego

Registered Member
The soy thing is a myth and misunderstanding. The studies were done on rats and mice, both of whom metabolize isoflavones differently than humans. The entire Asian population serves as a testament. Like anything else, if you eat too much of it, it bothers your tummy. The average balanced diet with some soy is fine, even beneficial. Fermented grains/soybeans like Tempeh are amazing. Doc always clears my bloodwork as A+.

I don't snack sweets, but I enjoy a glass of red wine in the evening every couple of days and then I'm definitely hungry for a snack, haha.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Perhaps some races have a higher tolerance but I've heard numerous accounts of soy milk leading to digestive upset. It just depends on the person I suppose. A friend of mine has had to switch off of it because it was causing problems for her, and there's a lot of similar stories on the net. If you're okay with it though, more power to ya. :)

- Cham

Stego

Registered Member
There's no such thing as any "race" having a higher tolerance, and that Mens Health article is misled and clickbait for weightlifting dudes who will read it because they're afraid their penises will shrink. Again, why don't millions of Asian men have swollen breasts and low sex drives?

Anyway, fiber and lean protein. Agave is a great low glycemic index sweetener. It's just the nectar from a plant, and you can use it like syrup on pancakes, mix it into meals, etc... fantastic stuff. It's pretty widely available.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Asian soy is fermented, US soy is not. Big difference.

Edit: With the exception of soy sauce. It is usually fermented. So I wouldn't worry about using that or any soy product that is fermented.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
The idea that races could not possibly have differing tolerances to specific foods (i.e. ones that are more native to their culture) seems a bit presumptuous. Just as genes can control predispositions to specific diseases, they can also affect how well an individual can process specific proteins. This is why, for example, lactose intolerance is much more predominant in those with African lineage than those with British background. Feel free to check the stats yourself. :)

- Cham