East and West

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pro2A, Dec 4, 2008.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I saw this and it dawned on me... we have this backwards.

[​IMG]

Discuss...

2. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

well you see, if you flip it...huh... maybe if you...no... damnit! We are living in a world of lies!

3. Eilt_Druin

Eilt_Druin Registered Member

No, you're just starting from the wrong point of reference. The center of the world is clearly somewhere around Russia or Egypt. That makes Europe the west, Asia the east, and the Americas non-existent. :p

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Everything is both the West and the East.

Where is your God now?

ExpectantlyIronic likes this.
  5. padd

padd Registered Member

According to the degrees of longtitude, the Americas are part of the Western hemisphere.. add in britain and the tip of spain. The rest of the world falls in the Eastern hemisphere. Sure, from different points of views different places will be west or east. But it's easier for the sailors and plane pilots to set their prime meridian 0, at Greenwich.. and declare one half east.. the other half west.

Rebeccaaa likes this.
  6. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

I knew i felt kinda tingly, now i know why. :sick:

7. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Direction is dependent on the movement of the sun- ie the day begins at the International Date Line and travels west until it reaches the IDL 24 hours later.

Using the point of reference as the IDL and the fact that the sun moves westward, it makes perfect sense.

Oooh_snap likes this.
  8. padd

padd Registered Member

That is interesting to know; It's probably somwhere in the middle of the vast pacific ocean, although is there a time zone that is basicly neighbouring another timezone, with a 24 hour difference?

Oooh_snap likes this.
  9. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Yep, there's a day change, but that's the only way you can make sure that time across the globe generally resembles where the sun is. Because we use a timezone system, think of the earth not as a globe but as an unrolled roll of paper.

10. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Since initially civilization as we know it existed only in Europe and Asia, it would make sense that the people of those times would refer to Europe as west and China as east.

[​IMG]

For the sake of convenience, everybody just continues to call it that way.

America is not the geographical center of the universe

EDIT - By 'convenience', I mean so as to not screw with everyone else's minds. To say "The West" refers to a region, rather than a direction.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
    Oooh_snap likes this.