• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Earthquake in Italy

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
At least 38 dead after 6.2 magnitude earthquake rocks central Italy

WATCH: Major Quake Devastates Italian Mountain Towns, 38 Dead And thousands Left Homeless

For a 6.1 quake this really did a lot of damage, older buildings just can't take much of a quake, and they are still experiencing aftershocks. Entire communities were reduced to ruble. So far 38 people are dead with many more missing.

My heart goes out to all the people caught up in this and I wish them the best.

Thoughts?

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Yeah, I saw that on my Twitter feed today. So sad to see. But at least, they were able to extract survivors from the rubble so that's always good news.

One mayor (don't remember the name of the city though) said that his city was basically erased from the map with this earthquake. And judging by the footage, it really looks like it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was just watching the news and the death toll it up to over 200. Many buildings have been reduced to ruble, really sad sight. One report I heard yesterday said this was a shallow earthquake which is one reason it did so much damage, the other being the type of buildings they were.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Really hate to hear this. My thoughts & prayers are with those that have lost loved ones. It's odd, because I usually don't think of Italy as a big earthquake country. I'm probably ignorant on the topic, but still it goes to show you that you never know what might happen.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
This is the 1st I've heard about this. Huge party week so I've been totally out of the loop with the news. It really bites that more than 260 people died but at least the people and the Italian government has their backs.
Italy quake: Emergency declared as hopes for more survivors fade - BBC News

The Italian government is pushing quake proof buildings and I hope that works. There's way too many buildings there that can't deal with that kind of stress.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.