Earning extra cash as an Uber driver

Interis

Registered Member
Or Lyft driver. Or whatever online taxi service popular in your area.

The service has been booming for a while. Some of my friends are doing it as a side job and they are generally impressed with the extra cash they make. Sometimes they make more than the incentives they receive from the company. We've also heard of the more 'extreme' cases where people resign from their positions and make online driving their main job. I don't believe anything that sounds so wonderful from the surface, so what's the catch? Should I just give it a try? Would you?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
You'd have to have a car that met their requirements, first and foremost. I can't do it because I don't own a vehicle that is 10 years old or newer.

General Uber vehicle requirements
All Uber services share these requirements:
  • Must be 10 years old or newer (model year 2007) – Varies city to city, see below
  • Must be a four-door car, truck, or minivan. Manual (standard) transmission is OK
  • Seating and seatbelts for four passengers, not including the driver
  • Must pass a vehicle inspection
  • Driver’s full name must be on the insurance for the vehicle
  • Driver’s name does NOT have to be on vehicle registration
  • Driver must pass a background check (See it here)
Restrictions: Vehicles that don’t qualify for any Uber service
  • No full-size vans (Ford Transit, Ford E-Series, GMC Savana)
  • No taxis or other marked vehicles. No commercial markings or advertisements
  • No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles (salvage title)
Uber vehicle requirements source RideSharingDriver.com

Godsmirror

Registered Member
I wouldn't do it. The recent news of their security breach, that happened 9 months ago that they didn't bother telling anyone about until just recently, shows me what kind of company they are. Personal information on passengers and drivers alike were hacked and now someone else has all that. And to boot, Uber found out who hacked them and offered them $150,000 to throw away the information and keep their mouths shut. I'm sure THAT happened, right?

Most passengers and drivers know all this, but don't seem to care. They still do what they do with Uber.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
I wouldn't want strangers getting into my vehicle. I wouldn't want to deal with drunks or entitled people. It sounds like a bum deal when you consider the wear and tear on your car. All the risk is on you and none of the risk is on Uber. It's smart for a company and not so smart for the driver.
I can't do it because I don't own a vehicle that is 10 years old or newer.
It sounds like you have a good vehicle that lasts, which is what I like. Do you mind sharing the make and model?

MissMe

Registered Member
I think it is a great way for people to earn extra money but I don't think that this one is for me. I would be too scared to have a stranger in my car. Plus I get lost too easy, I'd make a horrible Uber Driver!

Keri35

Registered Member
No way! There are way too many wacko people out there. I'd be afraid of who was going to get in my car. I just don't know if I would trust people.

Interis

Registered Member
@Mirage If you do have a car that meets their requirement, would you be a driver?

To everyone else, thanks for the insight. I didn't think enough about drunk passengers or other dangerous situations, so those are good reminders. Now I wonder if the drivers can see our profiles and statistics as passengers like we can see theirs. Otherwise, the drivers have little to no protection for their safety and are on the losing end of the deal.