Eagles release two-time Pro Bowl RB Westbrook

Discussion in 'NFL' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Philadelphia Eagles release Pro Bowl RB Brian Westbrook - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

This is a huge shocker, I know that he's had concussions problems during the last few years or so, but I never expected them to release him.

A team should definitely take a chance on him, he can catch, run, block very effectively.

I know McCoy made some great strides last year, and Westbrook was owed over seven million dollars next season., but you'd think they just re-nogiate his contreact.

2. SqueakScolari

SqueakScolari Registered Member

The Eagles must be really sold on McCoy because I sure aren't. I think he has the potential to be a good back in this league but I'm not sure if he can handle a full workload next season. Eagles better get a veteran back to help him out.

As for Westbrook, tough but he's had injuries from head to toe over the last few years. I still think he can be an explosive back in the league but he can't be a full time guy any more. Be a good pickup for a number of teams.

3. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Not just head injuries though. His ankle has been a constant problem. If it's not one thing, it's another. He may be a good back, but his health is a pretty big risk to pay so much money for.

Maybe another team will get him for cheap. I don't think he's in the greatest position to ask for a big contract.

4. SqueakScolari

SqueakScolari Registered Member

Nope he isn't but I think he could probably snag himself a decent, incentive-based deal. If I was a team needing a back to complete a platoon, I would probably offer him a $2-3 million dollar base with the potential to make up to $3-4 more million in incentives (rushing yards, carries).

5. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Yeah. So we now have two former dominant RBs on the market in Westbrook and LT. This should be interesting.

6. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Last year: Buckhalter and Dawkins (both of which are now Broncos)
    This year: Westbrook

I hope this isn't a pattern of things to come.

7. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

Can't say I am too surprised, but he was such a threat when healthy. He was due a large salary this year and was released. I wonder if any team will take a chance on him. He's one of the best overall backs when he was healthy but being healthy was is biggest issuer during his career.

8. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

LT and Westbrook cut in the same offseason? Damn. They may have fallen off, but I didn't expect them to be just cut. It'll be interesting to see where Westbrook goes. Someone should give him a chance, just not in a every-down role. I still think he can add a lot to a team, if used correctly and if he stays healthy.

9. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

He could be a replacement on the Texans, at least he doesn't fumble like the starting RBs there.

10. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

As much as I love him as a player this doesn't really surprise me. The health concerns as well as his salary are why they released him.