• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

E-cigarette may become available on NHS

thealigator

Registered Member
Source: BBC

"E-cigarette may become available on NHS (national health service)

The UK medicines regulator has approved a brand of e-cigarette to be marketed as an aid to help people stop smoking. The decision means e-Voke, produced by British American Tobacco, could be prescribed on the NHS. Public Health England says e-cigarettes are far less harmful than tobacco and help smokers quit.
But some experts, including the British Medical Association, say the benefits and harms are not yet known since e-cigarettes are still relatively new"

As someone who has smoked in the past and is now trying to quit I can see two sides to this. It is good that the NHS and groups are trying to help smokers kick the habit and from the point of view of elevating the cost of treatment for smoking related illness this can only be a good thing. On the other hand members of the public pay for the NHS to continue to exist and in a way by offering this non-smokers are footing the bill.

What I mean by this is that I as a smoker am effectively asking none smokers to pay for me to quit and my question is why should they? Why should someone pay for my treatment to kick a nasty habit that I chose to take up to begin with?

But what is your take on this? Am I correct in this in your opinion or incorrect?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The way I see it non smokers are paying the bill anyway for smoking related illnesses. I think in the long run this would cut the bill to tax payers even if they don't manage to quit since e-cigs are way less harmful than the real thing.

Twitch

Registered Member
I guess my only question would be, what is the alternative? Many smokers find it hard enough to quit, and paying for it would make it even more difficult for them. Many could turn back to cigarettes because it would be easier and potentially cheaper.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
What I mean by this is that I as a smoker am effectively asking none smokers to pay for me to quit and my question is why should they? Why should someone pay for my treatment to kick a nasty habit that I chose to take up to begin with?
Charity.

Why so hard to understand? Is it really that obscene that people be at least a LITTLE obligated to care about the person in the world next to them instead of want them to die off as quickly and unnoticeably as possible and have more for the self as a result? I think it's a great idea as long as other programs aren't being cut that aren't caused by someone else's bad habits. Until such a crisis happens where there's not enough tax dollars to go around, great, might as well keep this kind of thing up.