Dunk Contest= boring?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well that's what a lot of people been saying these days, and I would have to disagree with them, the Dunk Contest is the best thing about the skills competetion, a lot of people been saying it hasn't been good since the Vince Carter painting in 2000. Well I would have to agree with them, but what Carter did in 2000 will not be duplicated, and for everyone dunking after him, will be very hard to impress people. That doesn't mean that the competetion won't be competetive and jaw dropping. Especially this year, we have Gerald Green in the competion, arguably one of the best dunkers in the game that people don't know about, and he's going to have is coming out party next weekend. I was just wondering what you guys thought about the dunk competetion.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I used to love Dunk Contests, but as years pass, it gets more boring, but I got to admit, that sometimes there are awsome moves that makes it exciting but for me, I got tired of it.

Fresh

Aw, Here It Goes!
Yea I heard all the SDC critism on dhows like PTI, ATH and SC. But you can blame the players back in the day I think like 8 guys were allowed to compete in one competion now its half which in my opinon takes away from the full effect of the contest. But legendary dunkers dont come around every year, so dont expect VC or MJ like proformances.

O

OldStyle

i like watching old clips of the dunk contest. jordan, dominique, nance, and walker...that's when it was fun to watch. most, if not all, of the dunks were cutting edge and new. nobody has ever seen what those guys did back in the day. now we don't see that.

oh, by the way...i hear tyrus thomas is doing it for the money. good for him!

TDG1987

Registered Member
VC was the man in 2000 but let's not forget Jason Richardson's performances in '02 and '03. He had some sick dunks too. It seems as if bashing All-Star games and competitons are the thing to do these days. Well if they (meaning all major sports) get rid of some these events, what are you left with? If there's no Slam Dunk contest, then what, just have the skills comp. and the 3-point shootout? What if there's no Pro Bowl? I mean I see no one out there on T.V. offering up any solutions or alternatives.

The dunk contest isn't getting boring. We're just spoilt by the performances of the past years. In 04 we had J-Rich's off the backboard between the legs. In 05 there were some creative dunks by Amare. In 06 Iguodala and Robinson added some crazy dunks. I'm sure that in 07 Gerald Green will do something exciting.

Fresh

Aw, Here It Goes!
i like watching old clips of the dunk contest. jordan, dominique, nance, and walker...that's when it was fun to watch. most, if not all, of the dunks were cutting edge and new. nobody has ever seen what those guys did back in the day. now we don't see that.

oh, by the way...i hear tyrus thomas is doing it for the money. good for him!
Tyrus rolled his ankle, so I doubt he'll be able to compete in the contest.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
There're only so many things you can do considering that they're human. They can't stay in the air forever. That limits the amount of dunks possible.

I myself like watching te 3 point shooting. Boring to others, but I like the the paced *shoot* *swish* *shoot* *swish* sound that good players can make. The little point guard obstacle course is pretty cool too.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree people expect so much from these dunkers and their expectations are so high that after the competetion they seem to be disappointed because they didn't see anything like Vince Carer's creativity in the 2000 Dunk Contest. Like I said I still love the dunk contest and they shouldn't take it off.

I wonder who's going to replace Tyrus Thomas?