• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Dubbed or Subbed Anime?

Dubbed or Subbed Anime?

• Total voters

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
When you watch anime that is originally in Japanese, do you prefer to watch dubbed version or watch the original with subs?

I prefer dubbed myself. I actually don't mind subtitles on movies that were filmed (due to lip sync issues) but anything animated I'd rather just hear it dubbed over than watch it with subtitles.

After all, a cartoon dub is going to be just as good as the original if you didn't know any better. Actual live action movie dubs can be spotted instantly.

Dubbed for me.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Dubbed for me. Mainly because although I don't mind reading subs, it annoys me sometimes to keep having to look at the writing instead of the images. I feel like I miss some of the action because I'm reading the subs.

Clear_Note

Demon King/Sith Warrior
Dubbed, so long as it's an accurate and non-4kids one. I want to watch anime, not read one. Plus, when you're reading subs, the way they talk all comes down to the way you're reading it, rather than how the VA is portraying it.

Last edited:

Kanji

Registered Member
I prefer subs on most anime I watch. However there are a few series that I watch that I prefer to watch dubded.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I prefer subbed because I'm used to reading anyway when I watch my non-anime movies in Original version with FR subtitles, and that doesn't bother me. Plus it fascinates me to hear another language especially of something I'm not fully familiar with (the sound/intonation). Also, there are times when I hate the FR dubs: they all sound the same or high-pitched. Although sometimes I'd buy the dubbed ones because they're cheaper DVDs than having the original with subs. It really depends on how they do it. The English dubs that I've seen seem to be fine.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Okay, im sorry but i will quote one of my previous answers on this forum, because honestly ive been over this subject so many tims this week, not just on GF so.

My main problem with dubs is the fact that alot of the cultural significance is lost during the process. The japanese language phonetics are much more suited to follow a regular Anime episode than an american voice.
Some expressions and interjections dont have a literal translation and most of the characters animations are made to resemble the ones made by japanese people- its a whole package, i watch and hear Anime.
This doesnt apply to japanese only, i like to watch french movies in french, german movies in german etc etc; it helps me to "feel" the movie as it should be felt, under the prespective im watching people interact in a form that is different from mine.
This isn't a tangible subject, so a completely rational explanation isn't always possible.

For instance, i could never watch a death note episode if yagami light and L were elaborating on their theories in english, the pace and rythem would be totally off, not to mention that it would sound generic and cheap, mainly because thei were trying to be something that in fact they are not- yagami light is not american, and although he speaks fluently english the fact that the main action was taking place in japan, in japanese districts it would be totally wrong to have them to speak any other language.

The same goes for mello and Near, i always thought that since near is japanese descendent and Mello is german they were raised in a british orphanage, so it would be best if they sopke in english when not interacting with japanese characters.

Call me purist, call me elitist- i am- i dont care, i think Anime is an Artistic expression and like any other piece of Art it should be contemplated on its original form, and not some chewed up comercial fastfood fest

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Maikeru, here is a question for you. Some of the newer Anime series are made in both English and Japanese at the same time (or back to back). Basically they are made with the intent to do two audio tracks from the get-go.

In those cases, which would you consider to be the PURE form? If that makes sense?

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Maikeru, here is a question for you. Some of the newer Anime series are made in both English and Japanese at the same time (or back to back). Basically they are made with the intent to do two audio tracks from the get-go.

In those cases, which would you consider to be the PURE form? If that makes sense?
Made in both languages?

Anime has been growing in popularity for some time now, so naturally distributors and even production studios dont exclude the idea of adaptations for the outside market, specially over the United states, but that happens with every other movie that gets released on dvd outside of its original country - In japan they Watch Anime in japanese, Beeing Anime a japanese product.

Every american movie (live action or animeted) that comes to Europe has Dual audio, but I never heard of an Anime show that was made in english, unless is made and\or released specifically for the outside market, like Animatrix.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
This doesnt apply to japanese only, i like to watch french movies in french, german movies in german etc etc; it helps me to "feel" the movie as it should be felt, under the prespective im watching people interact in a form that is different from mine.
This isn't a tangible subject, so a completely rational explanation isn't always possible.

For instance, i could never watch a death note episode if yagami light and L were elaborating on their theories in english, the pace and rythem would be totally off, not to mention that it would sound generic and cheap, mainly because thei were trying to be something that in fact they are not- yagami light is not american, and although he speaks fluently english the fact that the main action was taking place in japan, in japanese districts it would be totally wrong to have them to speak any other language.
I knew this thread would attract you, haha. Anyway, I'm the same way with movies (like I posted in Hybrix's other thread). I do have a question about settings because you mentioned about Death Note (which I haven't watched) and how it's off for the characters to speak fluent English when they are Japanese and the setting is in Japan. I've watched anime which are set in France: Gankutsuo and Chevalier d'Eon. Would it make more sense for you then if they're dubbed in French originally, than in Japanese?

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
I wouldnt consider it bad if it is faithfull to the story, although Gankutsuo is an adaptation of The count of monte cristo made by a japanese creator for a japanese audience mainly. And as a biased observant i would prefer it in japanese for the arguments on the posts above .

I pointed out Death note because its a show that runs in both american and japanese soil, so i also wouldnt mind to see the english characters speaking english among themselfs, but that is up to the creator's description, not mine.
Still, Anime is a strong cultural media, and even if they japanese creator portrait a western civilization\history it will always have japanese elements in it...The language is one of them.

Last edited: