Dual boot

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Anyone here have it? Advantages? Disadvantages?

I just had my computer cleaned and dual booted with XP and Vista... pretty kick ass if you ask me :)

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I just got rid of it yesterday actually.

something happened to my windows XP installation when I tried to start it up it would tell me that I was missing this special boot file, I tried to repair it with my windows XP CD but it got a ring of death on it so it down't work correctly anymore, I also tried downloading the file online, but with no luck.

so I simply deleted XP, I'm only runnign windows 7 right now, but in the near future I will be running windows 98 SE on Virtual PC, I have some games that will only work with windows 98 and earlier anyway.

windows 7 is what I'm going solo on right now.

there are alot of advantiges, particularly in the ammount of software that you can run. i have a dual boot going on my laptop between ubuntu(a form of linix if you are unfirmilliar with it), and vista. so i can run a larger veriaty of software...

xp in vista does not seem as useful as two very different operating systems...

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
there are alot of advantiges, particularly in the ammount of software that you can run. i have a dual boot going on my laptop between ubuntu(a form of linix if you are unfirmilliar with it), and vista. so i can run a larger veriaty of software...

xp in vista does not seem as useful as two very different operating systems...
It is though. A lot of circa 1990's games don't run on Vista... but will run on XP. I like vista, but don't want to have just XP either.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I'm installing windows 98 SE right now, I got the right Virtual PC program to work with Windows 7.

Can't wait to play some of my favorite oldschool classics! :lol:

Dav1t

Registered Member
I dual boot Ubuntu and Vista on my desktop and Ubuntu Netbook remix and Windows 7 on my netbook. I prefer to run Linux (which I am using now) as everything is free and mostly open source but as I am also into PC gaming in a big way I have to have windows kicking around on both my machines.

I have also convinced the wife to let me install ubuntu on her netbook and she loves it.

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I used to dual-boot with Ubuntu, too, but I had compatibility issues with my dual monitors. These days I just run Windows 7.

rsonmor

Registered Member
on my desktop (which doesn't run anymore cause my upgrades draw too much power from the power supply :(.) but on my desktop I've dual-booted, xp-ubuntu, xp-fedora10, and xp-fedora12 but i still prefer my windows 7, because it runs games a lot better as well as since its on my laptop i can use windows tools to turn up to 2 gigs of ram out of my 4 into vram (video ram) so i can run the more recent games on it like borderlands, i could never find that function with linux.

so I simply deleted XP, I'm only runnign windows 7 right now, but in the near future I will be running windows 98 SE on Virtual PC, I have some games that will only work with windows 98 and earlier anyway.
If you go to the properties for the executable you can set it to run in compatibility mode for win 98 or 95 whichever the game wants thats all i had to do to run red alert the aftermath for win 95 :)

scarface94

Registered Member
I used to dual boot linux mint 8 with windows 7, but I use Dell and its extra applications like backup and remote control caused windows to overwrite the MBR, so my GRUB would screw up and I would spend a morning about every two weeks trying to fix it. I eventually gave up and just used my linux 100%. I still have a virtualbox of windows 7 though for compatability and testing windows developed stuff.