Drummers Unite

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by ysabel, Aug 23, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It seems like we have several members who play drums. Check in if you're one of them!

- How long have you been playing? (or have played if you don't anymore)
    - What inspired you to be a drummer?
    - Did you learn informally or through formal lessons?
    - What type of music you like to play along?

or just talk about you and drums in general :rotfl:

2. Atreyu

Atreyu #2 New Zealander

3ish years
    Parents froced me to learn an instrument, I picked the most annoying one :lol:

Formal for two years, thought myself the third

Rock, mainly.

3. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Nice thread!

about 2 years

Played on a friend's set while we were skipping school :p Turned out i had natural rhythm and i absolutely loved playing them!

informally. i don't get to practise as much as i'd like as i simply don't have room for a drum kit in my house, so i keep them at our band's music room behind my friend's house. Planning to get myself an electric kit this year.

Rock/Pop. as a band we throw in some electro, even country at times! :p

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It's been years since I've played. I have nowhere to practice and I'm sure I'm going to sound like the first week I started playing drums. LOL. I'm keeping my sticks though and tapping on tables. That annoys my family, btw.

I'm a singer and part of sight reading the pieces require you to be accurate on reading the timing/beat because it's useless to sing the right notes in the wrong time. :lol: Listening to the beat is something I've become interested in.

One day I listened to one of my fave bands, POTUSA and they had the song "Lump". I fell in love with the drum parts. I decided that time to take lessons so I can play it. I enrolled, had a decent teacher. I forgot the songs I had to play that time, mostly old ballads (my prof plays professionally with a band that focuses on 70s music).

After weeks of basic reading of notations and getting the feel of coordinating the hand and feet, he transcribed Lump's drum parts for me to read and play. That was awesome! Highlight of my career. :rofl:

Watch out Ringo! :p

5. synyst

synyst Registered Member

- How long have you been playing? (or have played if you don't anymore)

1 year

Percussion ensemble sounded like a easy fun class. (doesn't play drumset, plays percussion in the school band and marching band)

Lessons

marching band music and percussion ensemble music

6. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Put some vids up of yourself playing. We could have a drum off!

7. amjhdrummer

amjhdrummer It fell off.

Thanks for making the thread!!!

- How long have you been playing?
    Since um..well; 6th grade- (about 7 yrs) but we learned the xylophone first;and we weren't supposed to learn snare until 7th grade; drum set 8th grade. But I moved in the middle of 6th grade- and the school I moved to had been playing the set since 5th grade...so I learned snare and picked up set in HS- but mainly got stuck to xylophone because the other drummers didn't know how to read music; so bells were/are my forte. But I love drums mainly.

I wanted to learn how to play piano; and they didn't teach piano until HS- so they suggested the xylophone- which is set up just like the piano...then I could transfer in HS...

the bells I started out formally; but after I moved I was basically on my own; (I can now play with up to 4 mallets in each hand; and I can sight read with 2 mallets in each hand fairly decently)
    And snare I learned the basics with someone- taught myself the rest. Same with Set-

I love jazz the most! Otherwise I've played a mix of country, marching band stuff on snare, pep band (can include oldies, some hard rock, etc) school song :lick: and what not..
    haha- I don't have a set. :( otherwise I'd be all for it,...I'll see about going to use the HS's set to record some stuff though. that'd be kinda cool to see others!

8. Breadsticks

Breadsticks Registered Member

- How long have you been playing?
    About a year and a half. Before that I was always tapping out little patterns on anything I could get to. It drove my mum mad and then she got me a drum kit for my birthday. I love drums.

Well I have always loved drums. But a few drumers really got me into them. The main two being Travis Barker and Joey Jordison. I have always been drawn to them though.

For a while I just learnt on my own but then I met this great drum teacher and now I have lessons. I enjoy doing my own thing with drums to though. I hate following music all the time.

I am in love with funk. I just love playing funk music. I like rock quite alot and I will play most types of music quite happily. Nothing can beat the funk though.

ysabel likes this.
  9. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I don't play anymore but I played for about a year
    I'm not really sure, I've always been good with music, I guess it was the fact that i had an instrument available to me and I was bored one day so I just decided to go for it.
    I started off getting a few lessons from a guy I know, but really most of what I learned was through randomly sitting down with people and going or just working on my own, the internet was also a great source.
    Absolutely anything that isn't rap or metal.

I guess the main reason I stopped playing was the snare breaking down, so I got rid of the drum set, all I have left is the cymbals and my sticks. Since then I've picked up guitar, vocals, and piano...

I can do a one handed drum roll with either hand.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

And throw the drumsticks on air and catch it to continue playing? :lol: My dad did that (he had a band) and in one of the shows, total fail...he wasn't able to catch the sticks. :haha: