• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Drugs

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
That's right. Recreational pharmaceuticals, drugs, dope, whatever you want to call it. I want opinions, I want viewpoints, and I want everything to be clean.

Do you agree with people's choices in partaking in recreational pharmaceuticals?

Do you think it's immoral?

Do you hate me for it?

Do you think it's against your religion?

I want every viewpoint in this topic, but as always, keep it clean. It's been a while since there's been a debate that interests me, so let's get going on this one.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
No, I don't always agree with people's choices to use drugs, but people should be free to do whatever they want to themselves as long as it doesn't affect others.

No, I don't think drug use is immoral.

I don't hate you for it.

I'm not religious, but I know that some religions do believe very strongly about not using drugs.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think one thing that keeps certain drugs from becoming legal is the fact that when under the influence of said drugs conscious abilities such as sense of direction, awareness of surroundings, etc can become impaired if somebody takes too much of the drug. This can then cause driving accidents which in turn can and do kill innocent drivers and bystanders.

If a drug truly does not effect somebody else then I don't have a problem with it, but if a drugged out driver hits somebody you know then maybe you would think differently.

Sure being high could be compared to being drunk, but instead of using that as a means to justify legalizing drugs why not ask yourself why the alcohol laws aren't stricter. I'm definitely not saying alcohol should be illegal, but, maybe the penalty for a DUI should be increased. The current system doesn't seem to stop many people from drinking and driving.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
You have to consider that alcohol causes infinite more deaths than marijuana. Not only should marijuana be legal, but it should have more lenient laws than alcohol. I'd be willing to bet that cell phones are more likely to cause an accident than someone who is driving high.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
You are probably right, but, you do know that some states have been passing anti-cell phone laws that basically make it illegal to talk on them while driving, right? I believe Illinois and New York are just a few states that have done this already.

Doc

V.I.P.
I think one thing that keeps certain drugs from becoming legal is the fact that when under the influence of said drugs conscious abilities such as sense of direction, awareness of surroundings, etc can become impaired if somebody takes too much of the drug.
And drinking too much alcohol doesn't impare conscious abilities like your sense of direction, awareness of surroundings, etc.?

This can then cause driving accidents which in turn can and do kill innocent drivers and bystanders.
There were 16,885 alcohol-related fatalities in 2005 – 39 percent of the total traffic fatalities for the year. How many people do you hear about dying because someone ran over a kid because he was stoned? None, because it actually heightens your perception of anything going on around you.

If a drug truly does not effect somebody else then I don't have a problem with it, but if a drugged out driver hits somebody you know then maybe you would think differently.
Of course, I don't feel that a junkie should be out behind the wheel of a car. I'm only arguing for cannabis, but I don't think that a junkie should be out driving around. No one who thinks they just ate a Mario star should be out on the road.

I don't know why our laws don't work, but you really can't stop a person's will. Maybe if public transportation was cheaper? Cab services that cater to the drunk? Maybe we have so many people driving drunk because we care enough to find them with things like sobriety checkpoints, and then aim for the penalties. I wish I knew what it was like in another country, but I'm more than willing to bet that we have more because we're looking for it more.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
And drinking too much alcohol doesn't impare conscious abilities like your sense of direction, awareness of surroundings, etc.?
Well that's why I said it wasn't an argument for alcohal necessarily either. The laws should be stricter because I don't know about you but 16,885 deaths per year seems pretty pointless. That's 16,885 avoidable deaths.

Just because alcohol related deaths happen doesn't mean that we should want more drugs to add to that count. If anything steps should be taken to lower the already unacceptable death numbers from alcohol alone.

No one who thinks they just ate a Mario star should be out on the road.
Lol! That was hilarious the way you put that. Same goes for PacMan cookies. :D

Doc

V.I.P.
Did you see what I said, though? More people are getting caught because our police are so good at finding it. I'd like to know what the actual numbers are, so that we could make fair arguments, especially compared to other countries. We do need to focus on getting the number of alcohol related deaths down, or maybe we should let Darwin take its course and get rid of that overpopulation problem we've got going.

That wasn't my argument, though, my argument is that when it's not combined with alcohol, marijuana can actually improve on your driving skills. I even watched a test done where a guy from Britain drove a test course, smoked a joint, then drove the course again. He concentrated more, but I can't remember if i twas two seconds faster, or two seconds slower. Either way, it supports my "it just heightens your awareness" belief.

Of course, there are the people who would use it as their excuse to hide their own stupidity, or the police and politicians who will blame it on the marijuana to further their own careers and beliefs.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
You are probably right, but, you do know that some states have been passing anti-cell phone laws that basically make it illegal to talk on them while driving, right? I believe Illinois and New York are just a few states that have done this already.
I think it's just the city of Chicago that has the law. I know some people who have gotten tickets for it. I'm pretty sure you're allowed to drive and talk on your cell phone in the suburbs though, and everywhere else in Illinois.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
There were 16,885 alcohol-related fatalities in 2005 – 39 percent of the total traffic fatalities for the year. How many people do you hear about dying because someone ran over a kid because he was stoned? None, because it actually heightens your perception of anything going on around you.
Are you sure "NONE" is correct? I guarantee you're wrong. I've taken several claims in which the driver was impaired because of something they smoked, not something they drank. One of these claims involved a 15 year old who stole her grandmothers car and killed another driver. She was high not drunk.
Yes alcohol related deaths are higher in number, but perhaps they are higher in number because drinking is legal and liquor is more accessible.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
steph Dating & Relationships 6
JesseCuster Politics & Law 20
Joshua Howe NBA 23
sunrise Health & Fitness 3
sunrise Sports 0