• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

drone crashes with active self destruct charge on board

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
In Florida a drone crashed on a highway with a active self destruct charge on board. No worry though the battery will run down in 24 hours then it won't explode. Its a wonder no one was killed. State Highway 98 is closed probably for the next 24 hours because of possibility of fires and the self destruct charge.

This drone is larger than most of them it is a retrofitted F-4 Phantom jet.

Florida highway closed after drone crashes with still-active ‘small self-destruct charge’ | The Raw Story

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I wonder how many millions of dollars of American tax payer's money just went down the drain with this failed operation.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm sure this was a very costly accident. Not as costly as it could have been given that there were no fatalities, still quite expensive in the end. (even more cost is added on to that because of emergency response)

It's good that they're using a short life battery and that the risk won't last all that long. I hadn't thought about that before. Kinda ridiculous that they need to wait for the battery to go out before moving the thing though. Is there no way to remotely disable the self destruct? Seems like a major design flaw to me.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I thought the fact its a retrofitted jet was over the top. They just blew one up over the gulf the week before. Plus why do they even need a self destruct device on a drone that is flying around here.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I thought the fact its a retrofitted jet was over the top. They just blew one up over the gulf the week before. Plus why do they even need a self destruct device on a drone that is flying around here.
Security purposes. We can't afford to have the technology (or the information gathered) falling into the wrong hands.

Shwa

V.I.P.
Security purposes. We can't afford to have the technology (or the information gathered) falling into the wrong hands.
Understandable, but how many are going to be destroyed because of maintenance issues or because they crash land in foreign soil? That means more money for tax payers to continue to pay for projects that are not running efficiently.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Theoretically, they wouldn't crash any more than any other airplanes (give or take). Or are there statistics that I don't know about, saying they crash more?