Drive with a Controller

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icegoat63, Sep 24, 2010.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

So I'm stuck here in a gridlock and I glanced over at my passenger seat... Sitting there is my Sixaxis PS3 controller. My imagination took off and I got to thinking about how awesome it would be to use it to pilot my vehicular device.

Question is "would you (if you could) use a controller (any controller from the NES box, to the Atari Joystick, to the xbox 360 controller) in lieu of the steering wheen and petals?

2. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

The PS3 Controller would be so awesome, but I'd settle for an Xbox 360 too. But here's the thing, when I used to play any of my racing games like Juiced or Midnight Club or something, I always used to play with the PS Steering wheel set because I didn't have my driver's license back then. :lol:

3. generalblue

generalblue Where is my Queen?

I would love to use my 360 controller to steer my car. I can just imagine instead of walking to my car, I could just start it with my controller and have the car come to me.

4. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Somehow I think people would be better drivers if given the option to learn to drive with a controller because there are some damn good gamers out there. Or it could have the opposite effect.

5. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I think that I'd enjoy trying something like that, but let's face it, it's much more practical to drive with a modern design.

Imagine if your power steering were to go out or your brakes locked up. You're done for. And God help you if you accidentally unplug the controller or something. (wireless is just not practical at all).

I've lost power steering before, I definitely enjoyed being able to turn the car with extra effort.

6. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

It would be kind of a nifty experiment to use a controller, but I have a feeling I would prefer the traditional setup. It just seems to me that a controller wouldn't be able to be as precise as a wheel and peddles. A joystick can only move so far the the side, and it also seems like that you might be alot more prone to accidentally jamming the stick too far to a direction or your finger slipping. That happening at 60+ MPH on a crowded highway could easily turn into a disastrous situation.

7. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Yeah and what happens when your controller glitches and you can't stop speeding forward?

I definitely like the traditional setup, a REAL stick is a lot more fun than using a controller on a manual transmission.

8. PhoenixOverdrive

PhoenixOverdrive Registered Member

Totally agree.

I'd try the controller option, but I would abhor driving without my shift and my clutch. I can't even stand automatics as is.

9. WhiteCastle

WhiteCastle Registered Member

I think I'd do pretty good with a PS3 controller, thanks to GTA I was able to steer my car sideways between two lanes of traffic when I was sliding on ice.