• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Dreams

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was wondering what kind of dreams everyone here has. That is if you can remember them. Sometimes after being awake a few minutes I tend to forget them but some I can't forget.

I'll go first. For a few years after getting out of high school I would dream I had to go back to high school. I would try to convince them I had already graduated but they wouldn't listen. To me that was a nightmare because I didn't like school. When I woke up it was such a relief. I think the only thing they meant was I still had anxiety over being in high school. Worrying about grades and all that.

How about you? What kind of dreams do you have, good dreams or nightmares? Do you think your dreams meant anything?

dDave

V.I.P.
I've been told that if you can remember your dreams that you aren't sleeping to your full potential and thus aren't getting as much rest. :shifteyes: I must be in trouble :lol:

Recently, I've found myself dreaming a lot about places I've been. For example, I'm dreaming back to my kindergarten classroom, a few of the houses I've lived in, and even vacations that I took many years ago.

Normally I dream about my book though. The story has become so much of a part of who I am that parts of the story (even parts that are not yet written) play in my head as I sleep. Sometimes there's a cool new element, twist, etc. that I hadn't consciously thought of. I actually use my dreams as a writing tool. It's cool because dreams themselves are a major theme throughout the story.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've been told that if you can remember your dreams that you aren't sleeping to your full potential and thus aren't getting as much rest.
There's probably a little bit of truth to that. I've heard that being hungry can cause your dreams to be a lot more vivid and intense. I usually eat an hour or two before bed. Maybe that's why I rarely remember any dreams anymore.

dDave

V.I.P.
There's probably a little bit of truth to that. I've heard that being hungry can cause your dreams to be a lot more vivid and intense. I usually eat an hour or two before bed. Maybe that's why I rarely remember any dreams anymore.
I pretty much always eat before bed so that's not likely to be it for me.

There's actually a lot of psychology that can be studied about the brain and sleeping patterns. From what I've read I think it's correct that you don't rest as much while dreaming. Has to do with REM sleep.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I can't say that I have a recurring theme in my dreams, but for the past few months, I have a lot of nightmares and just random or weird dreams. They range widely, so I wouldn't even be able to give an example.

Not sure how true that theory is, but for what it's worth, I generally go to bed hungry. :-/

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I had some weird dreams last night. I can't remember them all but one I was in Africa and I had to lock the gates.lol Why I have no idea. I think I had it because I watched part of a lecture on Africa.

Cheese can make you have vivid dreams. It is said if you eat cheddar you could dream about celebrities. Stilton can make you have weird ones. Probably the melatonin in it. If you take melatonin supplements you could have nightmares.

6 Foods That Help You Sleep Better

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I had one of the weirdest dreams last night, with so many random and strange elements in it. But the biggest part of it was that I lost my cell phone at a large function with loads of people there and I kept searching for it everywhere and I was getting really apprehensive when I couldn't find it. Part of it was that I wanted to call my dad to come and get me as the function had turned out to be a disaster and I wanted to get out of there asap.

I ended up finding someone else's lost phone on the ground as I was searching for mine and used that to call my father to come get me. There were lots of other aspects to the dream as well, but apparently there is some meaning to my dream of losing my cell phone that I depended on. Apparently losing something means that in my waking life I am overwhelmed and feel like I am pulled in too many different directions or I am trying to do too many things.

Pretty accurate of my life right now. I found that very interesting.

dDave

V.I.P.
Weird dreams last night for me. I dreamed about a house that I've definitely never seen before and yet somehow I knew it was mine. The pictures of this house were really vivid and I could point out specific details.

I also dreamt that there was an outdoor shooting range right down the hill from where I really live and that there was a giant glassy lake and a sunrise.

It was all very atmospheric but I have no clue what it all means.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I had a weird dream last night. I flew on a jet to NY twice. First time flight was smooth second time there was turbulence. When we got there the jet was flying between the buildings. I was looking out my window thinking we are too close. After I got to my hotel room I went out taking pictures of these ultra modern buildings, kind of like you would see in Dubai, and became lost. I had to ask for directions back to my hotel but no one would talk to me. At some point I went shopping but the cloths were too big. Really messed up dream and I've never been on a plane.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I've studied the world of dreams, both my own, and accounts of others. I have even noticed that there are certain dream environments that recur and that they are even linked together like a sort of giant portal maze. I only have a very rudimentary map of how some of the dream locations that I've revisited are interconnected. My own dreams are incredibly disjointed and chaotic, never seeming to be able to follow even a vague narrative for more than a couple moments before changing completely. I have actually long wished to have "normal" dreams, where I don't always wake up thinking "WTF?". I'm able to interpret other peoples dreams, but due to the helter skelter nature of my own, interpretation is often difficult.

The best dream I've ever had was where I was walking along a dirt road that spiraled slowly up a rocky mountain. There was a ditch trailing the road to my left, and on the right, every rotation or so, was a bit of a plateau that jutted out slightly to the right. At a certain point I noticed a glint in the soil of one of these plateaus and went over to investigate. I brushed away some of the soil to reveal some kind of circular jewel-like thingy. For some reason, I faced out toward the ledge and stood upon it, and when I did, I took flight.

I soared like and eagle past an industrial area and well beyond to where there was a lush forested valley paradise with waterfalls. I landed on one of the mountains and lept from one to another like I was weightless. I landed on a ledge at one point that ran behind a waterfall, and there was a shallow cave there. I noticed some etched runes in the stone and some chunks of pottery and arrowheads in the soil and as though remembering it, I knew the history behind this cave. That it was once used by an ancient people to store food because it was inaccessible to animals. As I recall, I made another leap before waking up. I tried to get back to sleep and pick up where I had left off, but with only very partial success as I was more or less daydreaming and trying to recall the environment.

One of the more life altering dreams I've had was when I was a young boy and going through a phase of recurring "elevator" dreams. You know, the kind where "going down" takes on a whole new meaning? At one point, I got on the elevator at the mall, and a black fellow in a white suit, who reminded me of the 7-up commercial guy (if anyone is old enough to remember him) got on with me. As we were going down he looks at me and says "You know what's going to happen don't you?", I thought about it for a moment and said "Yes", and he said "It doesn't have to be that way you know?" and the elevator stopped at a beautiful restaurant which was almost like a greenhouse, and he stepped off, and so did I.

After that dream, I stopped having elevator nightmares until much later in life when they paid a return visit. That dream with the black fellow made me aware of the fact that I had more power to foresee and control situations than I had previously considered. It changed not only how frequently I had nightmares, but also how I reacted to situations in life. It is rare that I have nightmares anymore, and most often, when I do, I am anything but a victim. I've learned that I have certain abilities in the dream world that I can tap into on short notice. Levitation and dematerialization are the most prominent. The last dream I had where an I felt the elevator I was in starting to drop, I immediately floated through the ceiling and watched it fall, and then awoke with a smile on my face.

When I do have nightmares, generally they make up for in intensity what they lack in frequency. I've been hit by a C-train (felt my skull cave in and heard the gory crunch of the bones in my head being crushed), been struck in the forehead by lighting whilst laying in the center of a crop circle in broad daylight (After the event, I realized I was still thinking about it, therefore I was still alive), and even been suddenly attacked by my bedroom ceiling after a false awakening from another nightmare (Stephen King, eat your heart out). Also on multiple occasions I've encountered a type of dream-demon that is able to invoke intense irrational fear. Because I was not actually afraid of this demon, I was able to stand outside of the intense visceral sense of terror and look at it as artificial. I've told this entity where to stick it on more than a few occasions and laughed in his face despite barely being able to breath. By the time these dreams end, this thing has ramped up the fear level to indescribable levels. Generally the time between these rare encounters increases each time I tell it to get bent. After the last time, I don't think I'll be seeing it again. I don't think it's possible to experience emotional fear to a greater degree than I did last time.

- Cham

Last edited: