• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Dream realized?

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
Today is Martin Luther King Jr Day and we all know about his famous "I Have A Dream" speech, it's been played countless times, quoted even more and many athletes, celebrities and others reference it when talking about things like racism and with good reason given the words in the speech. My question is how far do you feel we've come since then and do you feel we can and will go much further in dealing with racism?

willge87

Registered Member
I think that, on the surface, there are definitely many differences. Any state-mandated segregation is non-existent. But, I think that there are still problems in certain parts of the United States that we as Canadians are necessarily exposed to. There are still plenty of social problems that exist in parts of the US that suggest there is still work to be done before MLK's dream is fully realized.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
willge87 said:
I think that, on the surface, there are definitely many differences. Any state-mandated segregation is non-existent. But, I think that there are still problems in certain parts of the United States that we as Canadians are necessarily exposed to. There are still plenty of social problems that exist in parts of the US that suggest there is still work to be done before MLK's dream is fully realized.
Having lived in the U.S. my whole life I can certainly say the racism does exist here in spades, for a state like Washington that says a lot about how far we have come but still have to go

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Racism will always exist when there is a clear visual difference. If you could read an animals mind, I am sure dogs are even racist towards other breeds... it's just how we are as a species. The way we treat it and react to it will change, but people will always try to be the superior to the inferior (I am not saying one is inferior or superior to the other... but it is just how we are). It's kind of like how there will always be alpha males...

...and if you looked on Twitter last night and viewed the language being thrown at Sherman, then put it in that it was the night before Martin Luther King Day, you probably would have vomited.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
BourneofDarkness15 said:
willge87 said:
Having lived in the U.S. my whole life I can certainly say the racism does exist here in spades, for a state like Washington that says a lot about how far we have come but still have to go
I agree with this. I find that racism still exists, but the amount varies by where you are. Living in New Haven, Connecticut for the last 9 months has really opened up my eyes about how prevalent it still is these days.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
10 year old keyboard warriors keep racism alive through social networks everyday. Even though most of them don't truly understand what they're saying, there's a percentage of them that do. Racism will be alive and well until the end of time, but it seems to be getting better with time.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
Crypticshock said:
Racism will always exist when there is a clear visual difference. If you could read an animals mind, I am sure dogs are even racist towards other breeds... it's just how we are as a species. The way we treat it and react to it will change, but people will always try to be the superior to the inferior (I am not saying one is inferior or superior to the other... but it is just how we are). It's kind of like how there will always be alpha males...

...and if you looked on Twitter last night and viewed the language being thrown at Sherman, then put it in that it was the night before Martin Luther King Day, you probably would have vomited.
You're totally right, it is sad how it'll always exist, but at least in some circles it seems somewhat to way better than it was 40-50 years ago.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dDave Autos 13
HabsMike25 Wrestling 7
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 8
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 4
Hilander General Discussion 18