• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

"Draw Muhammad" Contest Shooting in Texas

Stego

Registered Member
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...tside-muhammad-art-exhibit-in-texas/26849897/

The two men who opened fire were killed as they approached the heavily policed "Draw Muhammad" contest in Garland Texas.

I don't think this is something that should devolve into an argument over free speech. It's pretty clear that it is covered, even if it isn't a wise decision. To be fair, I think rolling up on a bunch of Texas cops is less wise...

Your reaction?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
While I think this group is just out to cause trouble Muslims need to get over it. Just because they don't like it doesn't mean it gives them the right to kill people over it. We all aren't Muslims and shouldn't have to live by Sharia law and won't. If this is the way you want to live then you need to be living in a country ruled by Sharia law not in a country where you have freedom of speech.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The police and FBI have searched the Arizona apartment of one of the gunmen, Elton Simpson, he was already the target of a terror investigation by the FBI. On TV news they said he was a ISIS sympathizer.

The Southern Poverty Law Center has described the AFDI as a hate group. They may well be but you still can't kill them for it no more than you can kill a Muslim for preaching hate against Christians or any group that doesn't agree with them.

Police raid home of gunman in Mohammad cartoon attack in Texas

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I heard a lot about this the last 2 days. Many from the left to the right politically said a similar thing: "Free speech, but they were trying to provoke."

So I searched for and found the winner of this highly provocative, possibly vulgar contest. Are you ready:

yeah, that's it. (If it loads, not sure) Someone draws a political cartoon similar to cartoons we've had in papers since the days of Ben Franklin. BUT because we're dealing with the religion of peace, every news article has to state that they were just out of cause trouble.

Something wrong here? Its got nothing to do with the event and everything to do with the group that is being parodied. Mormons don't shoot up Book of Mormon plays, Christians don't shoot up the 2 and 1/2 men studio.

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
Freedom of speech, okay. But it comes with a moral responsibility.

The fact of the matter is, it takes very little to inflame the 'Arab Street' - as we've seen previously - and in such cases it's local ethnic Christian communities and foreigners that bear the brunt of the wrath of aggrieved Muslims.

In olden times, if you committed blasphemy, you could be put to death. So the Islam of now to the 'Christianity' of old, similarities of ignorance. (The ignorance being killing and committing violence in the name of God)

This competition was always going to stir up trouble. Ill conceived to say the least.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
My question - were there any artists under 90 or older than 2?
Or do these artists seriously support a new Jihad in the US?

This time it was only 2 gunmen but what happens when its a suicide bomber from Chechnya or Dagestan?
Just before New Years in Volgograd in 2013 Chechen terrorists exploded a railway station and a bus in Volgograd and killed more than 40 people. They also murdered taxi drivers in Stavropol. Most Chechen terrorists are suicide bombers (and mostly female) and there are also Chechen extremists in the US.

The Russian FSB warned the CIA about the Tsarnaev brothers before the Boston bombing but the US refused to believe them.
Imo drawing pictures of Muhammed would be totally boring and it can incite the same anti-Christian violence thats all over the Middle East.
Anyway I just think theres a huge difference between free speech and stupid.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Such a contest is just meant to stir up sh!t, and it did, so GREAT! F~CKING COOL! I can't wait for burn the Koran day.

- Cham

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
My question - were there any artists under 90 or older than 2?
Or do these artists seriously support a new Jihad in the US?

This time it was only 2 gunmen but what happens when its a suicide bomber from Chechnya or Dagestan?
Just before New Years in Volgograd in 2013 Chechen terrorists exploded a railway station and a bus in Volgograd and killed more than 40 people. They also murdered taxi drivers in Stavropol. Most Chechen terrorists are suicide bombers (and mostly female) and there are also Chechen extremists in the US.

The Russian FSB warned the CIA about the Tsarnaev brothers before the Boston bombing but the US refused to believe them.
Imo drawing pictures of Muhammed would be totally boring and it can incite the same anti-Christian violence thats all over the Middle East.
Anyway I just think theres a huge difference between free speech and stupid.
I get what you're saying. But the attitude on many with this thought is "They're just Muslims. They can't help it. That's just the way they are. We better go along with whatever they want." I'm not saying this is your attitude.

I just reject that thinking. All people are capable of interacting in a civil society without resorting to savagery. There's nothing to apologize for here. The first amendment protects speech and particularly political speech. We can gather in a building and say or draw whatever we want to. If you don't like it, go back to your 3rd world nation.