• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Drake named Raptors new global embassador

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
In a Toronto Raptors news conference today regarding the announcement of the 2016 all star games played in Toronto, the Raptors franchise announced Drake will be representing the Raptors as their Global Embassador. Will he make a difference? Thoughts

Sabby

If Toronto wasn't getting the ASG, no way does Drake associate himself with this team. Hopefully I'm just being jaded.

StroShow

V.I.P.
Sabby said:
If Toronto wasn't getting the ASG, no way does Drake associate himself with this team. Hopefully I'm just being jaded.
At first I was laughing when I heard the news but after watching the press conference, it completely changed my opinion. Drake is as big as it gets right now in the music industry, and it showed during the conference. It was said that the media room was never seen so packed before, and during the Q & A...out of 15 questions at least 12 of them were directed towards Drake. Globally he'll do wonders for the Franchise, and hopefully his name can bring in a few names to Toronto.

James Borbath

I wrote on this topic in my blog so rather than re-write them here just go check out this link with some thoughts on this as well as Media Day that I was at to cover:

http://dinonationblog.blogspot.ca/2013/ ... -star.html

Dickey's Flow said:
Sabby said:
At first I was laughing when I heard the news but after watching the press conference, it completely changed my opinion. Drake is as big as it gets right now in the music industry, and it showed during the conference. It was said that the media room was never seen so packed before, and during the Q & A...out of 15 questions at least 12 of them were directed towards Drake. Globally he'll do wonders for the Franchise, and hopefully his name can bring in a few names to Toronto.
Just some insight as to being there covering it. This wasn't in the media room it was outside of Gate 5 and it was a Zoo for the All-Star announcement and Drake being there to put things in perspective Raptors Media Day was less than an hour after and I would say there was only a 1/3 to a 1/4 of the media that remained.

Obviously for anyone that watched the presser the question and answer was dominated by questions for and about Drake. Love it or hate it he does draw a crowd.

StroShow

V.I.P.
TORHABSFAN said:
What a Joke. Why does a team need a celebrity emassador?
willge87 said:
Is Drake going to win the Raptors any basketball games?
He tours worldwide so he's going to spread the word when it comes to the franchise . He's also renown by many athletes, you never know..he might be able to convince a few stars to come over. It hasn't hurt the Nets having Jay Z apart of the team.

Joshua Howe

Drake joined to change the Raptors' culture, in short. I think he really can help accomplish that, being as big an icon as he is. It's nothing major that he's doing as of yet, but it could be a pretty help in years to come.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
If you had told me 10 years ago that Aubrey Graham would become a worldwide celebrity, I would have laughed at you.

Does he wear Raptors stuff in any of his videos? I know he wears Blue Jays stuff in at least one of them.