Draft Busts

Discussion in 'NFL' started by Swiftstrike, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

After mentioning that 50% of the players in the first round of the draft turn into busts or mediocre players I began thinking...is that really true? And wanted to look at the actual numbers.

So I decided to look at draft lists.

I selected a draft year 2004. I figured 4 NFL seasons would be enough for a player to be considered a "bust or mediocre player" or a superstar.

I was going to pick some other years but this probably has the most recent players people would would remember.

Success - Despite averages statistics he won a superbowl.

• QB

• Mississippi

Bust/Mediocre. This guy was suppose to be the next Orlando Pace.

• T

• Iowa

Success - Currently one of the Top WRs in the NFL.

• WR

• Pittsburgh

Mediocre - Sorry Phil IMO has been nothing special. He has had a semi-successful career because of LT and Gates.

• QB

• North Carolina State

Success - He was a hardhitter and a defensive player to watch out for. Too bad his career was short-lived RIP.

• FS

• Miami (Fla.)

Success - Despite injuries and some off the field issues he has had a successful career thusfar when he DOES play. He just needs to not be retarded.

• TE

• Miami (Fla.)

Success - He has been solid. He had a few good seasons and one mediocre one. I have no idea why the lions axed him.

• WR

• Texas

Success - Although his production has dropped off a bit...could turn into a mediocre player

• CB

• Virginia Tech

Bust - He has been relatively unsuccessful and has been given countless opportunities with WR personnel changes.

• WR

• Washington

Success - Production has tail-ended recently a little bit but overall a good player

• CB

• South Carolina

Success - Despite relatively mediocre statistics he wins games

• QB

• Miami (Ohio)

Success - Solid tackles got injured one season and was traded.

• MLB

• Miami (Fla.)

Success - He has no QB really but he has put up pretty solid numbers year in and out.

• WR

• Wisconsin

Bust/Mediocre - This guy really hasnt done anything except stay on the team.

• DT

• Oklahoma

Bust - Awesome rookie season. Followed by several shitty seasons.

• WR

• Louisiana State

Success- No stats on O-Linemen and I dont really recognize the name. But I will give him the benfit of the doubt staying on the same team and starting

• T

• Arkansas

Mediocre - Nothing really special statistically. But as an OLB in a denver defense scheme can you expect success?

• OLB

• Miami (Fla.)

Success - Probably the best D-Lineman in this draft...now the steroid shit is out though...

• DE

• Ohio State

Success- No stats on O-Linemen and I dont really recognize the name. But I will give him the benfit of the doubt staying on the same team and starting

• T

• Miami (Fla.)

Mediocre/Bust - No special statistics and a few terrible seasons followed by some average ones. The next Dwight Freeney? Right...Mel Kiper.

• USC
    Minnesota Vikings

Success - Not a lot of sacks but what do you expect from a NT

• NT

• Miami (Fla.)

Bust - Yep not much to say here but he started and sucked it up.

• QB

• Tulane

Bust - He isnt even on the team anymore...or on any team...

• DT

• Texas

Success - He needs to find a new team lol.

• RB

• Oregon State

Bust - Few tackles few games started has been on 3 different teams already.

• CB

• Arkansas

Bust - Although the situation in Cinci never was good to him he has been injured and given opportunities to start...never blossumed.

• RB

• Michigan

Bust - Again several teams and terrible statistics... hardly even started.

• OLB

• Western Michigan

Success - His success surprised me actually but yeah he has been awesome.

• CB

• Ohio State

Mediocre - Yep just average statistics. No 1000 yard seasons.

• WR

• Ohio State

Bust - Yep but he was screwed when he got drafted by Detroit.

• RB

• Virginia Tech

Bust - Seriously who the fuck is this guy? He just got cut from a CFL team...

• WR

• Oklahoma State

Success - Pretty good stats for a TE.

• TE

• Georgia

2. Swiftstrike

According to my analysis that is 17/32 successes. And I gave a few players benefit of the doubt because they were O-Linemen I had never heard of.

17/32 = 53%.

Just as predicted.

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Nice stuff Swift...you should do this again with another year nearby to kind of compare

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I think you should do a whole series of these, Swift. You obviously have the football knowledge.

The only real way to judge an O-lineman is to compare matchups/sacks allowed.

Swiftstrike likes this.
  5. Swiftstrike

I did have fun doing this. It was pretty time consuming though.

However we could then look at talent by draft class.

I use to do a lot of draft analysis before the NFL draft and be in a betting pools for the top 25 picks in the draft.

Last year I didnt pay as close attention but from 2000 - 2006 I followed up on nearly every possible 1st round pick.

The drafts have gotten more unpredictable with all the trading now.

Babe_Ruth likes this.
  6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Nice work Swift. I really enjoyed reading those, and its fun to see who actually was a bust or not.

But I don't think you can make a fair judgement on Rivers yet. He's still young and he still has the potential to become a better quarterback in this league. Some players take longer to develop then others, especially the Quarterback position.

7. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

Pretty interesting to know exactly who was a bust and who wasn't.

You should definitely do this again.

Ace work Swift.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  8. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

This is why I actually start paying more attention to the later rounds of the draft. Some huge names have come from those later rounds.

9. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I got another one: Adam "Pacman" Jones

I say medicore to bust, not just because he attracts more trouble than a prostitute but because statwise he just isn't in line with other CBs. Only 4 interceptions in his entire career and hasn't even had a full season.

10. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, interesting. A few of us were reviewing the projected top seniors list they were showing on the NFL network last night, also for whatever reason we got to talking about Joey Harrington and how his NFL career has been a far cry from his college days.