Dr. Martens and their quality

I'm growing out of my skater shoes fashion and moving towards Dr. Marten shoes. But, after reading the following quote I have a question:

On 1 April 2003, under pressure from declining sales, the Dr. Martens company ceased all production in the United Kingdom[1], with production moved to China and Thailand. With this change also came the end of the company's vegan-friendly non-leather products, which were produced since January, 2000. In 2007, the company began producing footwear again in England, in the Cobbs Lane Factory in Wollaston. These products, the "Vintage" line which the company advertises as being made to the original specs, can be purchased at the Dr. Martens USA website [2] or the Dr. Martens UK website. [3]
Source: Wikipedia

I've been reading reports on Amazon.com about their shoes not being good quality anymore ever since they moved their production to China and Thailand. I've been reading that Dr. Marten shoes are thinner (not good quality), they break down faster and just overall sub-par compared to the pre-2003 shoes.

Is there any truth to this? Will they not last as long as I expect? I really don't want to spend $100+ for a pair of shoes that are sub-par and don't have a somewhat long lasting life.

Also, is there another shoe company out there that are closely resembled to Dr. Martens available in the US?

Thanks! :D

wolfheart

Registered Member
I dont no about how they will up now viLKy,but i used to wear doc martin boots for work all the time,pre 2003,those things would last for ages,the only problem i ever experienced with them was the sole bursting,leaving a flat piont when you walked.

Iimagine that if they are being made with cheaper materials,the overall life of them will not be as good.
My last pair i got in 2000 for work,and only threw them out last year,i doubt the newer versions will last that long.

Nope, I haven't made the change; still with the skater shoes. I'm trying to save money up for Christmas, and maybe after I'll give New Rock a lookin' at.

Does New Rock have any normal, everyday boot? A lot of what they have there looks novelty and biker boot. That's too hardcore for me. ;)

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Back in the day Docs were the best around but now I wouldn't pay 50 cents for a pair of them. Their quality has gone down hill. It's sad to think that combat boots are better than Docs now.

The last pair I looked at were so cheaply made that they wouldn't even last a month with heavy use, what a shame...They used to be one of the best boots around and now they are just a joke.

RATTIE

Registered Member
I think they do have some more regular looking footwear but you may have to look a little harder than me, who DOES want the slightly more different styles. ;)
They take a lot of breaking in though, I bled with my flat, Goth sorta styles but my more slightly girly chunky heels were fine.

Oooh, PANTS!!! :mad:
Just looked at the website I posted a link to and it's seriously shrunk! :mad:

ALWAYS the same, I find something good and it goes away!
Anyway, on that site I think theese are the most ''normal'' , ha ha. :lol:
Cloggs - New Rock Boots - 131 - Black