• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games DOOM - Best PC Game of All Time?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm highly disappointed that no one has started this thread. It's one of the most revolutionary gaming titles ever made because it scared the crap out of us and created a grisly, surreal, and demonic atmosphere. If you've never played this game, you don't deserve a computer. Plain and simple. Download a demo of it on download.com and experience it.

So how many hours of your life have evaporated thanks to this game? I bought the $10 Ultimate Doom package from Walmart and haven't looked back. It comes with Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom. Any good stories? Wanna brag about beating the game on nightmare? Let's talk about hell.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

I never played Doom for the computer, but for the 64 and SNES, they were fun, but back then I was young, well when I got the SNES and it freaked me out lol. When I got it for 64 I was already use to it, they were fun as hell, no pun intended.

F

FCXShogun

Best PC game of All Time? Well I guess it really depend on what genre and which kind of game you like but IMO its not the best but in top 10 of the best, I mean dont you consider Halo/2? Half Life? LOTR/2? and others? They are all great games as well. Anyway I dont really play Doom often and not very good in it yet...

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Halo/2 did nothing in terms of changing the face of gaming, except for the fact that it made the world aware of how many assholes have computers. Halo is nothing extraordinary or outstanding, it's just mediocre. In my opinion, Halo and Halo2 are the most overhyped games of all time.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
The Mercenary said:
In my opinion, Halo and Halo2 are the most overhyped games of all time.
I agree with you there.

As for Doom being the best PC game of all time, it's a hard call. True, it did help revolutionize First Person Shooters (along with Wolfenstein 3D), and it had a very immersive atmosphere that made you feel genuinely alone and desperate, but with such a huge library of games for the PC, its hard to name a single best. It would easily make the top 10 list for anyone that isn't ignorant or lying though.

D

Ds136

Doom is hardly the best PC game of all time. It really didn't do much for its genre either, the main thing I can remember it being innovative for is its multiplayer capabilities. Besides that Doom just redid everything that had been done before but in better quality.

Half-Life is a much more worthy game for Best PC Game of all time (best fps for sure) but thats for a different topic.

Doom was a good game, I had lots of good times with it, I remember once I was over at my friends house we were playing it and we were like 6 or 7 and we walked into a secert area to pick up some armor then turned around and there was a huge Pinky charging at us, we both just started screaming freaking out and I was screaming SHOOT IT SHOOT IT , ah good times.

E

Ethereal S D

Heh the original dooms weren't much to speak of, even back in the day. 2D sidescrolling shoot-em-ups were what I would considder the best back then. Now as I see it HL and HL2 were revolutionary in both graphics and well everything. PREY and F.E.A.R were hard hitters in my book, doom 3 got old real quick. Now Valve is releasing a game called Portal. Now that's going to be fun :D

D

Ds136

Ethereal S D said:
Heh the original dooms weren't much to speak of, even back in the day. 2D sidescrolling shoot-em-ups were what I would considder the best back then. Now as I see it HL and HL2 were revolutionary in both graphics and well everything. PREY and F.E.A.R were hard hitters in my book, doom 3 got old real quick. Now Valve is releasing a game called Portal. Now that's going to be fun :D

Portal is going to be awesome. Thats the only way to describe it, just awesome. I can't wait for Half-life Episode II =) Portal and TFT2 its too much for me to handle.

K

+KJ Sensei+

I thought Doom and Doom 2 were awsome! But Doom 3...I didn't like it too much, it was a big dissapointment for me. But I do have to agree that Doom is one of the best PC games out there, I see it as a classic game. I can remember playing Doom and Doom 2 over and over, I really liked the god mode...great stress reliever. lol. It was one of my first PC games and I got hooked, I guess because it was fast paced and fun. But anyways I do see the Doom series as one of the top PC games.

+KJ Sensei+

S

sLiPpY

I think Quake is the longest and most successful gaming franchise?

But I think HL and HL2 are probably the most revolutionary, gaming concepts.

Doom's kewl, and UT, and lots of others that belong in the top 10.