Don't You Just Hate It...

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Pugz, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

When authors kill off awesome characters?

I've just finished reading a book and the author killed off one of my favourite characters! He did it in a pretty epic way and the characters reason for the last resort plan was actually kind of sweet...BUT STILL!!

2. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah. I read a book once from the first person perspective, then he killed him off. I mean, that is pretty damn fail. It doesn't even make sense!

Though I'm not totally against main characters dying. Sometimes they can pull it off in a really good way, and really, the more we like a character, the more emotive a response he can milk us for.

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I actually like it in the right setting and when done right. It pretty much shows you that not even book characters are immune to mortality, and that their deaths could come at any moment.

4. Pugz

I've read a book (same series the fave character was killed off in) and the character 'died' from the first person prospective; it was really well written and i was surprised because i'd never seen it done like that before.

5. Chaos

Was it just the death, or the entire story in first person?

It just doesn't make sense. I mean, really, how could it? They're basically saying "And then I died" in a glorified manner. And the way some of them write it actually makes it a false writing style. I kid you not - you physically cannot write in the past tense from a first person view, and then 'die'. It can't be done, it's a logical fallacy - yet I've seen it done. Utter fail.

6. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah in one of my all-time favorite books, a prominent character dies, and every time I read it, I find myself hoping it won't happen this time.

In The Stand when Nick dies, I keep hoping he'll get out in time

7. Pugz

The entire story was first person.

Teeth and fangs bite into my flesh, every part of me at once. Nails dig deep, burrowing through my guts. Hands worm inside me and pull bits of my innards, out scraping at my skin from the inside. I'm being torn apart. The pain is unbearable. I lose control. My mouth shoots open. My senses dissolve. My brain goes wild. The last thing i hear, before the madness and demons consume me, is the tunnel filling with my anguished, uncontrollable death howls.

Screams in the dark.

That is the last paragraph of the book; the last line was also used for the first line of in the book too.

8. Chaos

See, that would annoy the hell out of me. If he's "lost control of his senses" and his "brain has gone wild", how is he talking about losing control of his senses? How does he know his brain has gone wild? That's what first person is. You're not supposed to be able to describe your own death, because, well, you're already dead. :headscratch:

I mean, it'd make more sense to have something like:

Oh fuck, I can feel them, they're biting me scratching me shit OH SHIT IT HURTS UGaivbsdkij ASDuabj sD Uejqw ndsiapnb d!"! Oj1pp2n1io2h12 m,.'q# .. . .. . . .. .

9. Pugz

Well the twist is that she comes back to life a few books later; and i think the phrase 'my mind goes wild' and 'losing my senses' was to show that she's no longer holding back the screams and is just letting loose.

10. Chaos

I get that. Those were just examples. But it's still technically a logical impossibility.

Though the returning to life thing might account for that. :dunno:

I just don't like it. It's literature fallacy. :shake:
    ------
    Wait, you're not reading something by Darren Shan, are you?

:headscratch:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009