Don't Talk to Cops

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ExpectantlyIronic, Nov 14, 2009.

1. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

YouTube - Dont Talk to Police

I was a bit skeptical before watching the video, but the dudes make a pretty damn good case for invoking your Fifth-Amendment right... always. It always creeps me out how easily things can be misconstrued to make anything seem like anything, even if that involves making the innocent look guilty in a court of law.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

That was a pretty interesting video. I didn't get to finish it cause I'm off to class right now. But :hah: I fell victim to his test around the 20 minute mark. Crazy crazy.

3. TheMaster

TheMaster Registered Member

The title says it all really. Anything can be taken the wrong way.

4. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I've seen that before. It's good info even if you are innocent and/or are the victim. The only time I would talk to the police is as a 3rd party witness.

5. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

hm. interesting information.

@pro2A would talk to the police as a 3rd person even if your friend was part of the story and he could be guilty?

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I could not agree with this guy more. I was pulled over once by a state trooper who asked me to come to the back of my truck. As he was writing out my ticket he asked me general questions about where I was going, what I was doing, etc...I hate to answer those questions but did so anyway. He then ran a check on my license and afterwards told me to stay where I was, walked to my truck and began asking my wife where we were going and what we were doing, to see if I was lying. I walked up to him which pissed him off and he yelled at me to go back to where I was. I told my wife not to answer any questions, advised him what he was doing was wrong, and told him unless he told me what his probable cause was, my wife and I weren't answering any more questions and to give me my ticket so I could be on my way. He stared at me extremely pissed and I could tell he wanted to punch me. I then said, you're getting awefully close to being accused of false imprisonment since you've detained me unnecessarily. He then tore the ticket up and told me to get out of here.

People have to be careful, law enforecent officers often times break the law and infringe on constitutional rights to get information.

7. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I looked a bit more into this, and found this:

-source

So, really, since the police are free to lie and laws vary from area to area, it is difficult to know when you should say something or not. In general, though, it seems the rule is to be polite, give name and identification, and otherwise ask for a lawyer rather than say anything.