Don't judge a book by its cover

Hiei

The Hierophant
I'm wondering how many of you actually don't judge a book by it's cover. Don't lie to me and say that you don't or give the cop out answer of "I do but I'd really like not to."

It's in human nature to judge everything from first sight. We're going to do it whether we want to or not. If you saw something that resembled a piece of shit served to you at a resturant, would you eat it? If you got a bowl of soup that looked like vomit, would you eat it?

And let's discuss the human factor now. If you happened across a guy that was holding a gun to the face of someone with a bullet hole in the face would you want to stop and ask if that guy just shot the person or would you run like hell? I'm guessing you're not going to have a friendly little chat with said person. Why is that? Probably because you judged him by first appearance and assumed that he shot that other person.

"But Hiei, that example is too extreme."

Ok then, let's make it more reasonable. You're stopped at a redlight in a big town that you've never been in before. Some guy pulls up to you and he has tattoos all up his neck, he's shaven bald, he's muscular, wearing a wifebeater, and the woman in the passanger seat has a black eye. Are you going to assume that he hit her? Or are you going to think that anything could have happened?

I'll make it even more realistic.

You're walking around downtown where you live. You see a person wearing all black clothes, dyed black hair, black eyeliner, and an AFI shirt. Do you assume that they're emo and go home and cut their wrists?

The point I'm trying to make is that regardless of the situation, you're going to judge a book by it's cover. And for that matter, here's another example for you.

You go to a book store. Book number one has a brilliant battle scene between good and evil, great imagry, and it just looks awesome. Book number to doesn't even have a picture on it's cover. It's just a dim gray book cover with only the name of the book in little print. Which book do you grab first? And would you grab that first because you judged it by its cover or would there be some deeper meaning behind why you grabbed that one? Or would it be that you randomly choose whichever book because you actively practice not judging a book by its cover?

But like I was saying, if I hear someone tell me not to judge a book by its cover one more time, I'm going to go ballistic.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
It's true, everyone does it - even people who get pissed off for being judged and/or hassled because of the way they look.

I went into a head shop one time on my way home from work to buy some incense. At the time, I was working in an office where I was required to dress professionally (no jeans). All the stoners looked at me like I was an alien.

You're walking around downtown where you live. You see a person wearing all black clothes, dyed black hair, black eyeliner, and an AFI shirt. Do you assume that they're emo and go home and cut their wrists?
Of course I will. My mind and I judge people how they look, act and appear. If I saw some gothic kid, I'll assume he wishes death on everybody and hates the world.

If I saw a black/asian/white guy, I won't act on my "feelings" or "pre-judgments" before I actually get a chance to chat with them. You can't change your race, so you shouldn't pre-judge anybody like that. If you happen to see a gang banger wearing baggy pant, tatts all over and a wife beater, It's ok to judge them. In my opinion.

In a nutshell, if somebody can't change something about them (sex, race, scars) you shouldn't pre-judge them. If somebody can change something about themselves (clothes, hair, make-up) it's ok to judge.

Skylar

Keepin' It Real
All the stoners looked at me like I was an alien.
They probly thought you were an undercover. :p

I look past folks appearance, because how do I know they aren't dressed down that day from working in the garden, or dressed up because they just left a funeral. Assumptions like that don't work.

I try to get to know them first, then make a judgement, but find even that changes after I get to know them a bit more.

Your scenerio, a kid dresses in black with black hair, eye liner, whatever, probly emo.

But if I start chit chatting and they happy go lucky, cool.

If they are a downer, then, pfft. Last thing I want is to be dragged into depression so I wouldn't hang out with them for that reason, not their clothes.

A fight I have with my evangelical world trotting preacher dad is that he says he has the right to judge me buy my fruit, and thus will tell me I am going to hell if I die.

THAT is wrong, no man can judge my soul or my after life, and we fight about that.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
When it comes to books, I could care less about the front cover. That's not important. I know from experience that not every author is a great artist =P I always judge the book by what it says on the back cover. Or by author for that matter. If it's by the same author as a book I found incredibly boring, than I won't read it. Otherwise, if it's by an author I like, I get it no matter what the back description says.

As far as people go, yes, I'm bad at judging by first glance. But I normally don't react on that judgement right away. I don't know if it's because I'm slow, or if it's because of my inherent belief that all people have some good. So usually I take a second and third glance to get a better picture.
------
They probly thought you were an undercover. :p

I look past folks appearance, because how do I know they aren't dressed down that day from working in the garden, or dressed up because they just left a funeral. Assumptions like that don't work.

I try to get to know them first, then make a judgement, but find even that changes after I get to know them a bit more.

Your scenerio, a kid dresses in black with black hair, eye liner, whatever, probly emo.

But if I start chit chatting and they happy go lucky, cool.

If they are a downer, then, pfft. Last thing I want is to be dragged into depression so I wouldn't hang out with them for that reason, not their clothes.

A fight I have with my evangelical world trotting preacher dad is that he says he has the right to judge me buy my fruit, and thus will tell me I am going to hell if I die.

THAT is wrong, no man can judge my soul or my after life, and we fight about that.
There is actually a few verses in the bible that speak against judging people. I don't know where they are right now but i can search them out if you like and then you can fire those back at him =P Surprise him lol.

Last edited:

Skylar

Keepin' It Real
------

There is actually a few verses in the bible that speak against judging people. I don't know where they are right now but i can search them out if you like and then you can fire those back at him =P Surprise him lol.
Yes, I would! :cool:

I already know one...Judge not that ye be not judged, for what measure you judge, you also will be judged with.

padd

Registered Member
They probly thought you were an undercover.
If you're undercover you wouldn't stand out lol..

Uh, yeah dont judge a book by its cover but you make some harsh examples. Sure if i see someone dressed black from head to toe on a very hot summer day i'd judge them as being dumb.. you'd sweat thru ur clothes.