• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

"Don't be an idiot - get a VPN right now."

Impaired

Registered Member
"Don't be an idiot - get a VPN right now."

Seen this? Don't be fooled. Any VPN? From Anyone?

Nope.

Who is providing it? How secure are they? What good is all the encryption of your web browsing if somebody can just hack into the VPN company server and steal your data there?

Tech Info: A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a tunnel between you and another network where all traffic is encrypted so it cannot be decoded by outsiders on the Internet. Only computers on either end of the tunnel can read the traffic (if the encryption is good enough.)

It is most commonly used as secure access from one point to another. Like your home and your office networks. Connecting them so you can access company resources securely.

For home users, it is usually to protect or hide your Internet use from prying eyes. A tunnel is created between your computer and another at the VPN provider. All traffic between you and the Internet is sent through the tunnel, encrypted so it can't be read. Anyone watching from the outside it will seem as if the VPN system is doing the web browsing, not you.

This is great - unless that computer isn't EXTREMELY secure. We see again and again commercial companies getting hacked because their security isn't very good. People stealing social security numbers, credit card numbers and every bit of personal info available on the systems they hack into.

A crappy VPN is WORSE than none, since they are a much larger target than your home computer, with much greater rewards for the hacker. They are far more likely to be hacked than your home system.

Research is key.

#1 - make sure the VPN company keeps no logs. Logs = your data you want hidden. No one should have a copy but you.

Last edited:

Interis

Registered Member
I wonder about this every time I see an advertisement for a VPN. I think we all know not to click on suspicious advertisements or links. We update our antivirus regularly. Is it not enough? I know that online security is important, but I agree that installing too many applications may go against us.

MissMe

Registered Member
Why would we need to use a VPN? Is this to be used for people streaming unlawful videos etc? Or is this to protect us when we are shopping online?

Last edited:

Impaired

Registered Member
It is to protect you. Mostly they are used by companies to connect sites together securely.

For home use, I am not sure it is worth it. Any data is still visible on the other side of the VPN. If you use a VPN and go to your bank website:

Traffic between you and VPN Co is encrytped but once it leaves VPN Co it is not, so your information is still "on the web" at some point. You are just moving where it starts from your PC to the VPN Co system.

When you shop, where is your data usually vulnerable? At the online store. Equifax got hacked, all your financial data is there. Target is hacked, all your purchase data is there.

Hacking into your home PC is low reward hacking. At most you get 1 or 2 numbers. From a huge company, you can get millions of pieces of data from 1 hack.

It happens. People to hack into computers, but mostly to USE your computer to do their work for them, breaking into other computers. Or running web sites.

Interis

Registered Member
To my understanding, if I am browsing an online shopping website from the US while using VPN, you will see me browsing from London instead. However, the details I use during sign up process don't change. When we see it like that, VPN doesn't really increase our security at all, in addition to what you explained about hacking.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
Which company do you use, Impaired? I've noticed some that offer lifetime licenses. How on earth are they able to make money this way? It doesn't seem sustainable.

Impaired

Registered Member
I don't use one. I don't trust them with my data. Frankly, it seems to be that having this sort of service makes you a target where now instead of one, they can hack lots of people, all at once from a central location.

If if they don't log your traffic, hack their servers and you have control over one end of the tunnel.