• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Don't Assume Anything If You've Never Been There

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
One thing I've learned lately is that you can't judge a region, country, or state if you've never been there. For example, I didn't realize how many nice areas there are in New Jersey, U.S. Usually, all you hear about are the bad areas in that state. Granted, some of the worst neighborhoods are in New Jersey. But that doesn't mean the rest of the state is lousy!

My favorite state is Delaware. People ask me "Why Delaware?" Most of those who ask this question have never been to The First State.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah I agree with you...no need to stereotype areas if you've never been there. Chances are its not like that in every stretch of the state.

There aren't cowboys in every house in Texas.
The entire state of New Jersey doesn't smell
Not all of California is hispanic

Etc etc

They are still fun to joke about though haha

Bliss

Sally Twit
If enough people you know have gone to these places then it's easy to make fun. If they all tell you the same thing then you are then going by what you heard, and not what you assume.
You can blame a lot of films as they often portray countries in a bad way.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Stereotypes come from somewhere, usually from real experiences. But it doesn't mean it's the truth and that it's everywhere like that. Each will have different experiences when they travel. To deprive oneself of discovering places based on stereotypes could be a mistake. I cannot count how many Americans are afraid to come here in Paris because they heard this and that. Worse is people who haven't even been here try to spread the same bad information, making it seem that a lot has had the same experience. My task when someone visits (I'm active in tourism here) is to make their experience pleasant and different from the horror stories they have heard. Also I try to clarify misconceptions that also lead to bad assumptions about the place.

Wade8813

Registered Member
As Ysabel said, stereotypes always have some truth to them (otherwise they're not stereotypes).

I already knew not to put much stock in stereotypes, but being in the Army really drove it home. So often people would be going through the exact same thing, and some people would complain about it and others would love it. Not only that, but so many changes have been implemented and different forts are so different from each other. When I was going through Basic, they were implementing a lot of things that made it quite different from what people experienced just a few months before me. And going to Basic at Ft. Jackson was a lot better than someone who went to Basic at Ft Benning.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Yeah I agree with you...no need to stereotype areas if you've never been there. Chances are its not like that in every stretch of the state.

There aren't cowboys in every house in Texas.
The entire state of New Jersey doesn't smell
Not all of California is hispanic

Etc etc

They are still fun to joke about though haha
Lies and propaganda. Everyone in Texas is a cowboy or a cowgirl, we all wear stetsons and boots and have guns holstered to us.

Since I live in Texas and have had this stereotype perpetuated on me from early on, it was easy for me to realize that not all places are like they are portrayed.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
Some who have never been to Maine before think Maine is a dreary, dull state.

What they don't realize is that Maine has a great, rocky coast, beautiful mountains, and great cities like Portland and Bangor.

dobzy

Registered Member
I've never heard anyone say Maine is dreary or dull! I only hear how beautiful it is. :) I lived in NJ for many years & have spent most of my summers there... bugs me a bit when people make fun of it! My family is from "the shore" & now everybody makes fun of NJ even more due to the MTV show. Grrr, oh well!