• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" repeal goes into effect

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
By ROBERT BURNS, Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- After years of debate and months of final preparations, the military can no longer prevent gays from serving openly in its ranks.

Repeal of a 1993 law that allowed gays to serve only so long as they kept their sexual orientation private took effect Tuesday at 12:01 a.m. EDT.

Some in Congress still oppose the change, but top Pentagon leaders have certified that it will not undermine the military's ability to recruit or to fight wars.

The Army was distributing a business-as-usual statement Tuesday saying simply, "The law is repealed," and reminding soldiers to treat each other fairly.
Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Goes Into Effect (VIDEO)

Hurray to the death of an unjust law and letting our gay men and women serve freely in our military.

shelgarr

Registered Member
One guy last night on the news said it was actually easier to serve in the military before DADT was in affect. Apparently the policy gave it a forbiddenness, and then people began to out others.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Well I guess now we'll just have to wait and see if 'mass gay hysteria' breaks out like believed. Personally, I think people just need to grow the fuck up and learn that there are people who are different from them but still fight for the same things.

ssvs04

Registered Member
First let me say im not anti gay. Im not anti gay marriage even though I wish there was a clear distinction of the name but still having the same rights and privileges. Anyways I think using our military that needs to be in harmony and run smoothly is a horrible place for a forced social change experiment. Not saying gays shouldnt be allowed to serve for the love of country. But this could be a problem for men who serve closely together in a whole host of different situations. Just like you dont have women and men living and showering together for obvious reasons this is going to lead to similar problems of open and known gays. I dont have a solution to the problem but forcing it on the military like this instead of a gradual acceptance over the years is a grave mistake and could lead to morale problems in a military we depend upon and the past rule is whats best for the country as a whole for now.

Shwa

V.I.P.
I've already called my current recruiter, explained my situation about my being discharged on the grounds of DADT, and he's already looking into the system to see if I can be put on the waiting list to join back in. Also double checking all the information to make sure I can get back in and what not. I honestly miss the Maine Corps, OMG the new gun updates and having my Military I.D back, this will be exciting if I can go back.

I am actually surprised that this law was revoked during my time on this earth, I never thought it would happen. But then again, we are adjusting and evolving slowly, so hopefully no one fucks this one up for the rest of the men and women who want to joining the forces to have a stable job and do something with their lives.

~Shwa

Wade8813

Registered Member
Well I guess now we'll just have to wait and see if 'mass gay hysteria' breaks out like believed. Personally, I think people just need to grow the fuck up and learn that there are people who are different from them but still fight for the same things.
I don't think anyone was actually expecting "mass gay hysteria". In fact, anyone who's been paying any attention knows there won't be. The concern is that problems will be rare but common enough to make things less safe overall for a military that's fighting on two fronts.

I've already called my current recruiter, explained my situation about my being discharged on the grounds of DADT, and he's already looking into the system to see if I can be put on the waiting list to join back in. Also double checking all the information to make sure I can get back in and what not. I honestly miss the Maine Corps, OMG the new gun updates and having my Military I.D back, this will be exciting if I can go back.

I am actually surprised that this law was revoked during my time on this earth, I never thought it would happen. But then again, we are adjusting and evolving slowly, so hopefully no one fucks this one up for the rest of the men and women who want to joining the forces to have a stable job and do something with their lives.

~Shwa
I'm only going off what I remember, but I'm pretty sure if DADT was the only reason, you should be able to get back in (assuming you still meet the requirements, which I'm sure you do).

If anyone has any questions about what exactly the new policy entails, feel free to ask. I'm a paralegal in the Army, so I can get you the answers (I'm only allowed to answer general questions - since I'm not a lawyer it's illegal for me to ever give actual legal advice).

Comet

Registered Member
Extremely pleased to see this day.

A huge step forward for the Gay Rights Movement and America.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Amazing! We're finally turning into a civilized country. I'm def impressed. And I don't believe it will be an epic issue or weaken morale. I think military people will always remember that our country is more important than who somebody wants to date... only politicians think who people date is more important, lol. But they're not the ones that risk their lives in wars.