Donovan Introduced As Orlando Head Coach

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
SI.com -
Billy Donovan accepted a five-year, $27.5 million contract, which pays more than twice the annual $1.7 million he was making at Florida, an official in the NBA told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The team did not disclose terms.

"My decision to come here had nothing to do with the University of Florida," Donovan said Friday when introduced as coach of the Orlando Magic . "I think if I was to have left Florida for another college job, I think you could say, 'What was wrong?'

"But I had an opportunity to leave for another college job. This is a totally different environment, a different challenge, a different way of life, a different style altogether."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46342/20070601/donovan_introduced_as_orlando_head_coach/

Fresh

Aw, Here It Goes!
They are already a playoff team which is good for him, but there also and undeveloped team, lucky for Donovan he has a college aged Dwight Howard who will listen to everything he has to say along with J.J. Redick and Jameer Nelson. I think under Donovan they will barely miss the playoffs.

C

Celtic Fan

if he's done his homework and realises it's not like college, he should do alright.
won't be able to predict what Orlando can do next year until we see who they can sign with all their cap space.
throw in VC or rashard lewis, this becomes a completely different team and much easier to coach too

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
It could be a long year for the Magic if they don't produce some results in the Free Agent time. I think this was a good move for them though and they picked a good man to coach them. If they can land a good free agent they could have a 6th East spot or higher with their name on it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Billy Donovan was the best college coach last year. But the NBA is a totally different game. He's very fourtunate that he has Howard on his team, and I'm sure that the Magic will sign some superstar this summer, especially if they don't sign Darko. I personally believe that he will have success in the NBA, he's a very good coach and he knows the game, and he's coming to a team that went to the playoffs last year. Should be an interesting season for the Magic.

I think he'll do just fine. Donovan is known for his fast transition game. That wouldn't be problem with the athletic guys on the magic roster. Plus they got some good shooters to complement his system. Just look at Humphrey last year, he got lots of open looks.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
Well at first the game will be somewhat harder to adjust to. I mean the season is longer , The teams are better and he won't exactly be the top ranked team in the league but with some hard work and efford I think he can really help the Magic.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Orlando Sentinel -
The Orlando Magic have decided to let Billy Donovan out of his contract with the team.

"It's over," said a source close to the situation.

Donovan shockingly had second thoughts about leaving the Gators to become the Magic's head coach this weekend.

The Magic did try to change his mind but have now apparently decided to let Billy Donovan go.

It is expected will turn to former Miami Heat head coach Stan Van Gundy who was rumored to be the club's second choice behind Donovan.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...rces_magic_to_let_donovan_go_back_to_florida/

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'll be pretty mad if Donavan backs off of this deal. I know that he likes to coach young kids, and he likes the College game, but he has proved that he can win in the College game now it's time to prove that he can win in the pro's so hopefully he'll stay has the Orlando's head coach. But if he doesn't Van Gundy would be a good replacement.