• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wii U Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

dDave

V.I.P.
This game was announced at E3 this year and I have to say that I'm really excited about it.

Wii U - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze E3 Trailer - YouTube

I like how the game holds a general snow theme, those are always my favorite levels (doesn't even really matter what game or anything, I just like snow levels). For the first time in almost 20 years, Dixie Kong will be making an appearance, that's really exciting.

I think Retro is bringing back DKC in a big way. Donkey Kong Country Returns saw mad success because it was a genuinely good game, I'm sure this one will be even better.

My only complaint is that you don't see any of King K. Rool, I'm hoping that this third game in this revival trilogy will have him in it, he's an essential character. As I've stated before, I do wish that Retro would make an open world 3D DK game, we may not see that for some time though.

Is anybody getting this game?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I have to admit, it looks like a lot of fun. Very reminiscent of the old Donkey Kong Country games, which is how it should be. I'm not sure I'd like an open world 3D Donkey Kong game as much. I don't think I'm getting a Wii U though, at least for a while, so I don't know that I'll get a chance to play it.

dDave

V.I.P.
I have to admit, it looks like a lot of fun. Very reminiscent of the old Donkey Kong Country games, which is how it should be. I'm not sure I'd like an open world 3D Donkey Kong game as much. I don't think I'm getting a Wii U though, at least for a while, so I don't know that I'll get a chance to play it.
I know for sure that I'd like an open world 3D DK game just as much ;).

I can understand that most people don't want a Wii U at this point, there aren't exactly a ton of impressive titles out there as of right now. There's nothing wrong with the controller though.

One cool thing about this game is that Donkey Kong can no longer swim underwater indefinitely without breathing, they added an air bubble system. In DKC through DK64 you could breathe underwater indefinitely. I don't think DKC Returns has any water levels.

Another new feature is the rotating camera. It makes the game a sidescroller without a straight path to the end of the level, gives the game some depth.