• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wii Donkey Kong Country Returns

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Has anybody played this? It's the latest in the DK franchise and the first DK game since 1999 or so:

Donkey Kong Country Returns Review - Wii Review at IGN

I'll be honest and say that I'm disappointed that it's a side scroller. It does look pretty fun though. In fact I'm guessing they went with a side scroller so true DK fans could see that they can re-capture the DK feel (originally developed by Rareware) before doing anything 3D. From the reviews this game is getting, they've definitely done that.

Perhaps the next DK game will be in 3D? I'm sure it will be hard for Nintendo to pass up a chance to utilize the Wii motion technology in a vine swinging game, for example. ;)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This actually looks pretty good. I like Donkey Kong as a side scroller. Retro did an amazing job reviving the Metroid series with Metroid Prime. I'm sure this will be fun as well, but not nearly as epic as Prime. Too bad I don't have a Wii.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I have it, and from what I have played, I love it oh so much. Epic-ness is not the goal here, but this a throwback to DKC for the SNES which was an amazing old game.

It is quite challenging too.

dDave

V.I.P.
Yeah I'm not sure but I think it goes without saying that I of all people will be getting this game.

It looks like so much fun.

There hasn't been a good DK game since 1999 (11 years ago :shocked:) but I've managed to keep myself decently busy with the old ones :lol: On top of that there hasn't been a DKC game since 1996 which hardly even counts because DKC 3 was a failure of a game, going back to DKC 2 (the best one) that game released in 1995. So it's been 15 years since a good DKC game and 11 years since a good Donkey Kong game in general.

I have plans to have it in hand before the end of the month.

I really like that rather than create new music they were able to remix the old music.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
DKC 2 was the best of the series. DKCR is just as good. You will love it.

dDave

V.I.P.
I just picked it up yesterday.

Got an amazing deal on it (Super Mario Galaxy 2 came for free with it).

The game is absolutely incredible I like it a ton. The plot seemed a bit cheezy at first but it's really not that bad considering that no DK game has a good plot :lol:.

The gameplay is perfectly flawless. I think I will be enjoying this game for a long time, definitely worth it.

Mike2288

Registered Member
I just got this game along with mario galaxy 2(which is great) and the new Goldeneye. (i only played this once and hated the way the remote and nun-chuck felt {i just went and got a wii classic controller pro, so hopefully that makes it better). DKCR seems good, but I've only played a couple of levels so far.

Turbo

Registered Member
It's a good throwback but it should have been playable with the classic controller & the pig to get help you through the levels should not be useable for boss levels.

dDave

V.I.P.
I do agree with the classic controller option and the pig thing but regardless the game is really awesome.

The shaking controller thing is new and what better way to push it than to make it the only control scheme? Of course this just makes some people not play the game.

I'm almost done with the game, have had tons of fun so far.

Turbo

Registered Member
If you count the piggie than it's beaten here...if you don't than not but the piggie thing has my interest gone.