Don Imus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hoosier_Daddy, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

Was it right for CBS to fire him? Chime in on this one people. It should make for a good discussion, but be warned that if you can't discuss this issue rationally and calmly, I'll put my cyber-foot in your butt!

Hoosier.

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

CBS is a corporation designed to make money by getting sponsors to pay for advertising. Imus' comments, however overexaggerted the reaction was, was making CBS lose sponsors and causing loads of bad press. They have the right to fire them, and by exercising it they began to distance themselves from him. I think sticking with him would have been a worse option.

I do think that Jackson and Sharpton got overly aggressive on this. It was a lone comment by one guy, but it seemed to blossom into another battle of the races for all-time. Plus, if you look at the comment "nappy-headed ho's" it's not actually racist, it's far more sexist. Thus, the fact that the Rutgers women's basketball team is largely black could be seen as unrelated to his comment. Imus didn't belt out the N-word or anything, he just said something chauvinistic.

Given the aggressive, press-seeking personalities like Sharpton and Jackson, who were able to get Imus painted in the worst possible potrait, CBS didn't have much of a choice.

3. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

I think this is the biggest load of bullshit, so what the guy insulted the girls? Words are words, sticks and stones. And anyways, why the hell is everyone thinking that this is a shot at the teams race? The guy said, "nappy-headed hoes", this can relate to anyone. It was the jerk off who assumed that because the majority of the team was black, that it was to their race. It's not.

This whole thing has been taken way out of proportion. I'm hearing speeches all of the news about how Martin Luther Kind Jr. would be so dissapointed of where we are today in the terms of ractial equallity, it's total bogus. Did anyone not realize that Jackie Robinson Day is here? Guess not. I guess it's better to look at the bad than the good.

4. AYHJA

AYHJA Registered Member

I agree w/Kaz, first and foremost this is about the dollar...

About what he said, Nos, you couldn't be further away from the truth...'So what the guy insulted the girls' means we're not going to get anywhere discussing the topic with that state of mind...He wasn't on comic view or comedy central, he's on syndicated television, him and the audience should know better than to use that kind of talk...

"this can relate to anyone"

Then he should have said 'anyone' and not pointed out that mainly black basketball team, it was very specific who he was talking about...Freedom of speech gives you the right to say what you want, doesn't give you the right to say whatever you want without consequence...

5. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

Don Imus wasn't even the one who brought up the subject of "nappy-headed people". The guy who was with Imus had made a comment previously to Imus saying something along the lines of, "those are some nappy-headed women", which was followed by the "destroying" comment of Imus.

What would the point for him saying everyone? His comment was directed towards the basketball team, not black people. Just because most of the team was black, doesn't mean it was for them. The comment was meant for them as a whole.

How long has this guy been on the air? Don't you think he would know what to say and what not to say? This means that people today are just looking for something they can jump at and make a case out of it.

Who is Don Imus to these girls? He's some old geezer in his sixties that has a radio show. They should be focusing more on their games.

6. zunami

zunami Registered Member

It wasn't even a racist comment. He said 'nappy-headed hos'. He didn't say anything about their race. He shouldn't have said that but the media's spin is totally ridiculous. How long will it take for the media to become indifferent to race?

7. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Actually it was a racist comment. Nappy-headed universally in the vernacular refers to black people with tightly curled hair, and nobody else. Also, the use of the slang "ho" is currently commonly assumed to be a black person, "whore" is a more general term that is applied to all races. I do think that the use of "ho" is more offensive in general, and thus I think it's more sexist.

I don't like the attitude of media inflation. Yeah, the media will do that, but people seem to then minimize things. Don Imus said about a group of women who proved they are the best athletes in their sport, who probably had to persevere and deal with a lot of prejudice, that they were nappy-headed, a deraugatory term for a black person, and that they were hos. On national broadcast radio and television. Of course the media went ballistic, it wasn't some racist yelling to a carload of women on the street, it was a national talk show host.

8. Yukon

Yukon Guest

Imus was and is a racist swine. He got what he deserved.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

When did he die?

10. Yukon

Yukon Guest

Wishing death on anyone is not funny.