• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Don Cherry

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I got reminded of this in the Olympic thread....

I dont really know how to line out this thread with a bunch of mumbo jumbo about him.... so instead I'll just come out and ask;

Why is it that Canadians love Don Cherry So much?

I mean just look at him?!?!?! He looks like a Retired WWF Wrestler with his outrageous suits and orange spray tanned skin. Ugh...

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Stealing my ideas eh buddy ;). Hockey is our religion here in Canada and there's no other man that's more passionate about our real canadian past time more then Don Cherry. I've grown up like many others have watching his 10 minute Coach's Corner show every Hockey Night in Canada. He's not the brightest apple in the tree but he makes a lot of good points on different aspects of the game and he's usually right on most of them. Plus it helps that he bashes Americans on different occasions ;).

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I love Don Cherry because he doesn't hold back. He's not afraid to be who he is. Plus, few people love the game more than he does.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
See I've watched Coaches corner on the TSN Feeds that we get here and I just cant stand the guy. To me he is always rubbing Crosby's back and spitting on the traditional Enforcers like Boogaard. I remember watching a small segment of his show where he did nothing but bash Boogaards "Enforcer Camp" some two years ago.

its because of that that I cant stand the guy and just quite frankly dont understand why he's so loved up there :hah:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Tons of good points have already been said, Cherry tell it like is, he doesn't care if he's on National Televison, if he has something on his mind he'll say it.

His passion for the sport of hockey is unbelievable, and it's not only the NHL, he has passion for minor leaguers even kids that are playing hockey at age five.

But another reason why I respect him so much his because he pays tribute to every Canadian soldier that passed away in the war, and when you listen to him, you know that he's passionate about those people.

He's an icon and a legend.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I've watched him quite a few times and he is definitely passionate. He entertains me and annoys me at the same time. Ha.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
See I've watched Coaches corner on the TSN Feeds that we get here and I just cant stand the guy. To me he is always rubbing Crosby's back and spitting on the traditional Enforcers like Boogaard. I remember watching a small segment of his show where he did nothing but bash Boogaards "Enforcer Camp" some two years ago.

its because of that that I cant stand the guy and just quite frankly dont understand why he's so loved up there :hah:

Sidney Crosby??? Maybe I haven't watched in a while, but I've only ever seen him criticize Crosby.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Sidney Crosby??? Maybe I haven't watched in a while, but I've only ever seen him criticize Crosby.
Well there was one where he bashed the ever loving hell out of Alexander Ovechkin in a Debate over who was better Crosby or Ovy. And Cherry being the Passionate Canadian he is, in no way shape form or fashion could side with Ovechkin. Instead he praised every little thing that Crosby had done and said that all Ovechkin was was a good with a good stick :hah:

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Ice, there's no way he'd bash a guy like like Boogard because there's nothing he likes more then a player who's a scrapper. The only way he would bash the guy is if he does a dirty hit on another player. He DID not like Ovy at first but now he likes the guy, and that's saying a lot because he never had any soft spot for russians lol.

Good point BR. I completely forgot about that.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Well there was one where he bashed the ever loving hell out of Alexander Ovechkin in a Debate over who was better Crosby or Ovy. And Cherry being the Passionate Canadian he is, in no way shape form or fashion could side with Ovechkin. Instead he praised every little thing that Crosby had done and said that all Ovechkin was was a good with a good stick :hah:
Lesser of two evils? :shrug: Grapes is quite the xenophobe. He's made his opinions on European players quite clear.