• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Dolphin virus outbreak deadliest ever

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A total of 753 bottlenose dolphins have died along the US Atlantic coast due to a measles-like virus, surpassing the previous deadly outbreak 25 years ago, officials said Friday.

Dolphin virus outbreak in Atlantic is deadliest ever | The Raw Story
I've been reading about this for the last couple of months and I can't help but be concerned about it. The record number of Dolphin deaths has been reached in half the time the last deadly outbreak of morbillivirus. This time dead whales are washing up with the dead dolphins and they have also tested positive for the disease. I have to wonder if the disease is going to keep spreading to other ocean mammals and what role, if any, pollution plays in this.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It wouldn't surprise me if pollution was the cause of this. I know the otter population on the California coast is struggling to grow because of a virus that they think is caused by toxins in the water. If the otters don't survive, it's going to have a big domino effect on other marine species as well.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have read something about them too but I hadn't kept up with it very well so I didn't realize it was a virus. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it is caused by pollution and more animals become sick.