• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Doing something special

Bosox04

Registered Member
I know that there has already been a thread on Valentine's Day (and if this is too similar, go ahead and delete or merge it), but I thought it might be nice to share some ideas towards doing something special for a loved one.

For example: One year, I surprised my (now) ex bf with a trip to the beach.

Anyone else have any good ideas for doing something special?

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I remember one time, with my highschool honey, planned to have a lazy afternoon at her house and watch dvds all day. So I decided to bring a blanket, went and bought a picnic basket, filled the basket up with her favorite foods, bought a rose, and brought my portable stereo with Tim McGraw and drove to the park. I called her up and told her that my truck broke down and asked if she could come over and pick me up. When she arrived I had the picnic area setup with 'our' song playing. And we danced to it. She was so happy and it made me feel good to give her a surprise like that she enjoyed.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think that inside of my body and mind there is a romantic guy in there somewhere but I always feel so awkward doing stuff like this and usually avoid it.

I remember one time I ordered flowers and had them mailed to a girl for her birthday and I felt like such a tool when I did it. She loved it and that was nice but I feel weird doing it. It's weird because I actually enjoy doing stuff for others but there's a part of me who gets, uh, nervous I guess at the same time.

What is more typical for me is a random note, or text, or message or something I deem to be cute. I don't usually make a huge public display.

Dabs

Registered Member
I am a romanticist. I love everything about romance. I can't think of anything "romantic" I have done for a SO, but one evening late at night, I drove to my guy's house wearing nothing but a trenchcoat. I showed up at his door, he was shocked. But he made me take notice that what would have happened if a cop had pulled me over for something. Holy shit! So I never did that again.
Then, one year my guy had a nice romantic dinner waiting and afterwards, he blind-folded me and led me to the living room area. As I stood there, I could hear music start to play. My all time favorite song to slow dance to, is "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton. Well, that is what he was playing and he took off my blindfold, gave me a rose and we slow danced :)
(this was 2 different guys btw)

Bosox04

Registered Member
I am a romanticist. I love everything about romance. I can't think of anything "romantic" I have done for a SO, but one evening late at night, I drove to my guy's house wearing nothing but a trenchcoat. I showed up at his door, he was shocked. But he made me take notice that what would have happened if a cop had pulled me over for something. Holy shit! So I never did that again.
Then, one year my guy had a nice romantic dinner waiting and afterwards, he blind-folded me and led me to the living room area. As I stood there, I could hear music start to play. My all time favorite song to slow dance to, is "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton. Well, that is what he was playing and he took off my blindfold, gave me a rose and we slow danced :)
Those are both awesome! I love the trench coat idea. Hmmmmm....

I'm always thinking of what I can do for my SO, be it stopping on the way over at a gas station for his favorite candy bar, or picking them up in the middle of the night and going on a trip.

I would consider myself a romanticist, however I tend to date guys that aren't...which can get really hard sometimes. :-/

(I think I'll continue this thread another time, as it will probably get a bit dreary)
------
I think that inside of my body and mind there is a romantic guy in there somewhere but I always feel so awkward doing stuff like this and usually avoid it.

I remember one time I ordered flowers and had them mailed to a girl for her birthday and I felt like such a tool when I did it. She loved it and that was nice but I feel weird doing it. It's weird because I actually enjoy doing stuff for others but there's a part of me who gets, uh, nervous I guess at the same time.

What is more typical for me is a random note, or text, or message or something I deem to be cute. I don't usually make a huge public display.
Well, Millz, let me tell ya something...big public displays of romance aren't that big a deal. To be honeset, the most special things to me (granted, I'm a gay dude, so my view could be totaly skewed) are small, and throughtful. The more thoughtful, and less generic they are, the more special they are to me. A heartfelt note is worth more than 10 dozen roses. You're good man...keep it up. BTW, the fact that your nervous--and do it anyway, tells your SO that you really care a lot!!

Last edited:

Vixen

Registered Member
I remember one time, with my highschool honey, planned to have a lazy afternoon at her house and watch dvds all day. So I decided to bring a blanket, went and bought a picnic basket, filled the basket up with her favorite foods, bought a rose, and brought my portable stereo with Tim McGraw and drove to the park. I called her up and told her that my truck broke down and asked if she could come over and pick me up. When she arrived I had the picnic area setup with 'our' song playing. And we danced to it. She was so happy and it made me feel good to give her a surprise like that she enjoyed.
That is SO sweet, I may do that one time. (Obviously I'll need a different excuse, considering I can't drive.)

Ohh wonderful tonight Is my favourite song too !!

Those are both awesome! I love the trench coat idea. Hmmmmm....

I'm always thinking of what I can do for my SO, be it stopping on the way over at a gas station for his favorite candy bar, or picking them up in the middle of the night and going on a trip.

I would consider myself a romanticist, however I tend to date guys that aren't...which can get really hard sometimes. :-/

(I think I'll continue this thread another time, as it will probably get a bit dreary)
------

Well, Millz, let me tell ya something...big public displays of romance aren't that big a deal. To be honeset, the most special things to me (granted, I'm a gay dude, so my view could be totaly skewed) are small, and throughtful. The more thoughtful, and less generic they are, the more special they are to me. A heartfelt note is worth more than 10 dozen roses. You're good man...keep it up. BTW, the fact that your nervous--and do it anyway, tells your SO that you really care a lot!!
Yes I agree, like waking your OH up with a cuppa tea/coffee breakfast in bed, or even as small as giving a cuddle and saying I love you.

Every little helos.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
The most special thing my SO can do for me is be there when I wake up.

I think being in a long distance relationship has really taught me to value the time we spend together.

If he wanted to make me smile for a whole week then all he'd have to do is surprise me and be there.

The most romantic thing I've done is: One of my exes was obsessed with Terry Pratchet and for Valentines day I scoured E-Bay and wrote to TP and got him two first edition signed copies of books he didn't have. It made my heart bounce when he opened them.

Its amazing seeing someone you love be so excited at something.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think that you're right! I'm just not one of those guys who likes to make a big public display in regards to stuff like this. I like it to be a little more private. Probably depends on how comfortable I am with other person as well.

I'm not sure I could be with someone who would want elaborate surprises or like an elaborate engagement, for example. Just doesn't work for me.

Bliss

Sally Twit
For his Birthday one year I got him tickets for a tour of the Manchester United football ground as they're his favourite team. Obviously I had to go with him. And for anyone that knows me they'll know that was a big deal for me as I hate football with a passion.
Anyway he said it was the best gift he'd ever received and I could tell he really meant that.
Despite me yawning through the entire tour he said it was a really nice day. I haven't been able to top that yet but I like doing little things for him.

Bosox04

Registered Member
Okay, this could take another spin on this subject (and might need to be a new thread). What do you do if you SO isn't the type that does special things. How do you deal with that type of scenario?