Dogs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iris, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

A friend of mine told em that they are trying to ban owning pit bulls in California. Is this true? She it's because a lot of people own them and use them to fight and earn money.

2. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Pitbulls are a dangerous sort of dogs. I don't have a good relationship with them. Once a pitbull started chasing me. I used to do a Paper Boy route. Jumped on my leg, but he didn't bite me.

they are dangerous. And I hate them

3. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Banning them for that reason would probably be wise. But if they're gonna kill something anyway, why not kill each other and have people make some money off of it? They're probably going to ending up being killed anyway.

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

5. Circle_One

Circle_One Guest

They've already banned owning Pits in California. They did it in like 2005 or something. It's called the Breed Specific Legislation ban and Cali isn't the first or the only state to adopt it. Even Canada has gotten into it with Pitts, Rotts and most breeds in the Mastiff family.

Ok, having just read the rest of the posts on this thread, I've got to say, come on now, this is total fucking bullshit!

You all do realize that 95% of attacks caused by "Pitbulls" aren't ACTUALLY caused by Pitbulls, right? And are instead caused by one of the other 20 breeds of dogs that simply LOOK like Pits?

You also do realize that Pits aren't ACTUALLY inherently dangerous, and that it's actually the OWNERS that train them to be that way, right?

And also that ten years ago this same stigma was placed on German Shepherds, and they were banned as well, until another scapegoat, mean looking breed was adopted, right?

Oh, and also, that all those rumors about Pits having lock jaw and shit aren't true right?

PUNISH THE DEED, NOT THE BREED!

I'm totally fucking against Breed Specific Legislation. Why don't we start banning humans from certain states then. They have more of a chance of becoming violent than dogs do, and they're totally aware of their violence.

Disgusting, if you ask me.

6. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Circle, I totally agree with you. If you raise a dog with love and care, then they willl love you back as well. If you hit a dog constantly, yell and scream at it, neglect it, then you will get a mean dog. It's the owner's fault that this happened. My dog was originally owned by this family we knew and they abused her, didn't feed her, and would contantly hit her. Now she is very timid and is always freakingout at the smallest noise. Now that we have her though, she hasn't gotten a little better and seems to realize that if she does something bad, then there are consequences.

I think it's messed up that they did that... I wish I had known this sooner. :l

7. Circle_One

Circle_One Guest

I have a dog like that too, Himeko. I'm happy that your puppy has now found a family to love her. That makes me want to hug you.

I just wanted to say sorry for the agression of my post last night, I get a little extreme when it comes to BSL bans and laws, especially when people are banning dogs based only on the stigma attached to them and not to actual facts about the dogs. Pitbulls are beautiful, loyal, kindhearted, protective, playful, sweet dogs! They're amazing with kids and will protect their family to death.

Anyway, Himeko, you should look up State Breed Specific Legislation bans. There may be something you can do to stop it happening in your state.

8. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Circle, it's fine. It's okay to be mad about something. I will look into and make sure that sort of bill doesn't reach Florida. Why should they punish the dogs for their mistakes? It doesn't make any sense.

9. Circle_One

Circle_One Guest

People fear what they don't understand and there's so much stigma around about Pits because of all the so-called "attacks" by them, which I said in my first post, 95% of those attacks aren't actually by Pits. Also with all the rumors flying about Pits having lock jaw, it scares people, so they jump to conclusions without actually looking into and learning about them.

It's really sad.

10. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

There are pitbull bans in some places in Florida but the only one i'm certain about is Miami.

The ban is a good thing and a bad thing. Good thing because it's minimizing the illegal pitbull fights and the dogs that can't be rehomed due to upbringing are humanialy put down, but it's also a bad thing because if you have a pitbull as a pet and don't use it for fighting you HAVE to give it up.

Most bans are easy going and will allow a pit-cross but the papers to proove it have are required.