Dog Health Question

Discussion in 'Pets' started by ATARIGUY, Oct 22, 2008.

1. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

My dog has a hip problem as she will end up on her butt for no reason and I was told that it is a sign of her kidneys shutting down, can this be right ???

She is a miniature sheperd/collie mix
    170 pounds
    female
    fixed
    name is TROUBLE

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Just so you know, the GF Pets forum is for virtual pets. Click the "Pets" link up at the top. I moved this thread to the right area.

3. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

Oh that explains why I was amazed and confused !!

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Just head for the vet. I doubt you're going to get much real input here.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm not a vet so I obviously cant give a trustworthy diagnosis...

but from what I'm reading on a few sites about Canine Kidney Failure, a major sign to watch for would be her drinking ALOT of water. Have you ever maybe thought that if she has the bad Hips already that maybe the sitting down may be just a way to relieve the pressure of standing?

Canine Kidney Disease

6. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

She could have hip dysplasia,its very common in dogs,my old german shepard had it.
    Take her to see the vet,i cant remember if it can treated or not,but i do have a vague memory of my dog being treated.

7. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

Sounds like it probably is hip dysplasia. Like Ice said, kidney problems come with excessive water drinking. It would be a noticable difference in the amount your dog drinks.

How old is she?

My dog used to do this, but it was actually because her knee would pop out of joint and she would automatically just sit down. It likely has something to do with some form of pain and not her kidneys though.

Taking her to your vet is always your best option.