Dog cosmetic surgery?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Mirage, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

A lot of dogs these days undergo cosmetic surgery early in life. You may or may not realize it but many dogs don't generally have pointed (or at least as pointed) ears or missing tails.

Tons of dogs have their ears and/or tails "cropped" when they are around 12 weeks old. This is pretty standard in the US at least, although ear cropping is actually outlawed in England.

So what are your thoughts? These cosmetic mods don't really hurt the dogs (in the long run), and it's how we are used to seeing certain breeds.

What are your thoughts?

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think it's kind of cruel to the animal to make it undergo surgery just so it'll look how the owner wants it to. That's all I really have to say on the topic.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Well, if it doesn't hurt the dog, I'm not seeing too much of a problem with it. Also, it's just the ears, it's not something serious.

Although, I'd like to see a link on this because I've never heard of it. I've had a golden lab and a kitten and neither of them underwent "cropping" (I can guarantee it) and they had pointed ears.

4. Mirage

The thing is that most owners get their dog after this surgery has been done. There are a lot of people who don't even know that certain breeds don't start out looking the way we are used to seeing them.

It's not generally "mean" or "selfish" owners who do this to their dogs. It's how most dogs are already when they are sold.

Take Great Dane's for example. Have you ever seen one with ears that flap like a lab? No. Bet you didn't know that normally they would have ears just like that.

I think a lot of people are unaware of these modifications certain breeds go through.

And I'm not arguing for or against this. I'm just putting some information out for people to chew on.
    ------
    Labs don't undergo any of this. As for cats I don't know if similar things are done to them or not. I only know about dogs.

It's ALL over google. Take a look: (search for dog cropping or click the link below)

dog cropping - Google Search

Interestingly enough, both tail and ear cropping are illegal in England. Any dog that has undergone the process is banned from dog competitions.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  5. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

Well, I have a Miniature Schnauzer, and they are a breed where the procedures are common on tails and ears.

Heres one with the ears and tail altered:

[​IMG]

and heres one with no alterations:

[​IMG]

According to Wikipedia, for Schnauzers at least, cropping the ears can help prevent some minor issues in the ears if they get wet, but that is about the only real difference I could find.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, since it's not causing any damage to the animal and doesn't impair it in any way.

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think the second dog looks a lot better.

7. Mirage

Also some dogs that are used for hunting have their ears cropped just in case they end up getting in fights with other animals while hunting. With shorter ears they have less of a chance to get their ears hurt by the other animals, which often times try to bite ears.

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I think it's cruel and wrong to crop tails and ears. Of course it hurts the dog. Wouldn't it hurt you if somone cut off one of your toes? or your earlobes?

This is the official position of the American Veterinary Medical Association on the practice (emphasis added) :

9. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

My Niko...http://www.generalforum.com/318112-post18.html
    has a "floppy" ear. It's hard to tell from this picture, but his left ear folds down, when he's not on the alert. The only way to correct this now would be with surgery, which I think is ridiculous. The other half, thinks it's ridiculous to pay that much for a dog that doesn't look perfect.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2008
  10. Mirage

I'm kind of surprised that this is legal in the US with all of the animal rights activists running around. I don't think I have a HUGE problem with pet cropping, because in the scheme of things there are bigger things to worry about and in the end the animal is going to be fine, BUT, I really don't understand why it is legal.

Personally if I bought a dog as a puppy before any cosmetic surgery was done on it I'm pretty sure I would leave it how it was. I wouldn't feel right putting my dog through that.