Does this sound legit?

Scissorhands

Registered Member
A friend told me of a job opening at a local place that gives dancing lessons. He told me to go in and apply today and I could get the job 100%. So I did.

The manager was there and he seemed like a get quick rich seminar guy; all hyped up about how much money I could make and all the benefits, etc. He just had one of those voices.

So he tells me he will train me starting next Tuesday for two weeks. After that I get 10$ an hour +$8 an hour for each person that gets lessons that I actually make the sale and take the money in. He goes on to say that also if one of my students goes to a competition I go too with all expenses paid and for every heat he or she dances in, I get 5$ (can be over 100 heats) and if my student rank in the top 5 I can win in between $1-$25,000.

He didn't say I would be working any set hours or anything.

It just really seems to me like one of those insurance companies that are like "You sell 2 plans and you get paid this much commission per month! Sell 5 and this much! If you sell 20 you can be making THIS MUCH A MONTH!"

I thought it was fishy because me (long black hair, tattoos, piercings), my brother (long brown hair past his shoulders, lip ring, flip flops), and my girlfriend (pink and brown hair, punkish) rolled up in and filled out applications and were all hired on the spot. I wouldn't think that a place would just accept anyone at all. Especially a professional place like that, they would usually want clean cut people to do the job, no?

So it just seems like it's going to fall through to me. Doesn't seem real.

But hey, if all else fails, those two weeks of non paid training are worth $2400 in dancing lessons. (They charge $80 an hour.)

What do you say?

Scissorhands

Registered Member
No. Just walked in and applied. He told us how much we could get paid and told us to come back Tuesday. He asked if we had ever danced and when we said no he said "Good. No bad habits to break!"

Wade8813

Registered Member
It does sound a bit suspicious, but if you're not required to pay anything, you might want to stick with it and see if it's legit. (You can also look up the company in the Better Business Bureau's website).

A couple years ago, I started selling knives for Cutco. It sounded somewhat like that, but for the short time I was with the company, they kept their promises (I left because I didn't like it, and was doing poorly, not because of any fault of the company's). We got $16 per sales presentation (and each presentation was ~ an hour), or we'd get a percentage of our sales, whichever was higher. In addition, after we'd sold certain amounts, the percentage of the sales we got would go up.

The thing seemed like it might have been "too good to be true", and I was particularly suspicious because I had to give a deposit on the set of utensils I'd be using for my demonstrations (I gave them a check they wouldn't cash - when I stopped working for them I could either return the set, or keep it, and they'd cash the check). But it worked out well for me, all things considered.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Like Wade said, it's probably legit but it's probably also very hard and specific work that most people won't be cut out for. I've been to Cutco interviews/meetiongs before and similae things and from what I can telll they are legit but just not for everybody.

Scissorhands

Registered Member
Not necessarily too good to be true. Just seems like a well paying job that might just be a no-investment scam. (Pays shit compared to what they make, though. Ha.) Considering, what if the guy only lets me teach people that I recruit? Meaning he gets a potential $62 an hour for every person I bring in. (If I knew anyone willing to pay $80 an hour for dance lessons, haha.) Then it is NOTHING more than a commission job.

So he can allow ANYONE to apply and think they have an actual JOB, but really they are just prospects to make him money. If they never make a sale, then it costs him nothing except the time it took to explain pay and to train them to dance basically. (Which that's one thing that gets me. I will get to it in a minute.) If they do make a sale, then that's just money he made for just telling these people they have a job and teaching them to dance. AND knocking out the customers first 3 to 5 hours that the big man doesnt have to teach them because the "employee" is trained to do it.

So it seems like:
He tells EVERY applicant that they are hired.
They are automatically prospects for him to make money.

But the teaching thing. It's 9-12 every m-f for 2 weeks. 60 hours of lessons. Although this thing sounds like a commision thing, I don't see him giving 60 hours ($2400 worth of lessons) free to someone who could possibly NEVER make him any money...

What say you!

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I don't see how a non-dancer can be trained well enough in two weeks to give dancing lessons. There has to be a catch somewhere in the works. Whatever you do, don't let the guy talk you into giving him any money.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Like Wade said, it's probably legit but it's probably also very hard and specific work that most people won't be cut out for. I've been to Cutco interviews/meetiongs before and similae things and from what I can telll they are legit but just not for everybody.
Are you drunk?

To the OP if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is.