• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Does the WWE need Randy Orton back right now?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
The title is the question.

Does the WWE need to have Orton back right now, for the benefit of the current programming?

Personally, I don't think they need him back right now. As much as people can complain about roster issues on both brands, I see no reason to come back ASAP. SD has moved on without him. Raw doesn't need him with the amount of feuds that they have, but hell... I could be wrong.

But what do YOU think?

Alta

Registered Member
They can survive without him for a while longer. I honestly haven't missed him, but I don't watch SmackDown because its time slot is horrible. Friday night? Most everybody has plans on Friday. I don't why they don't go back to Thursday. I guess they're afraid to compete with TNA.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
They're surviving, yes, but I think that Orton is needed on SD right now. The main event scene isn't totally weak there, but it could use someone more like a company face. Sheamus is doing fine as champ, and I know that random Raw stars get shots at the title...but I think that if Randy can return strong and get good writing to boot it would be good for the WWE overall.

Millz and I have been discussing a feeling that he's going back to heel...not totally sure that would happen but he does need some kind of change.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
If he goes back heel, then they have to a MAJOR face turn for someone. Having Punk, Show, Bryan, and Orton heel is not even with Jericho (is he even a face?), Sheamus, and Cena. Make him a tweener or don't change him at all.

But I kind of want him to be a heel, which would make a potential Orton/Sheamus feud more interesting.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think there's any doubt Jericho is a face now and Punk is kind of a tweener at the moment who just does whatever the hell he wants.

From RAW...

Orton came back to a huge ovation and beat Slater up. So I think for now he'll remain a face but we'll see how it goes.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I agree. Having him back now makes sense but he needs to be in a meaningful feud, not thrown in with ADR and Sheamus, which is what I fear will happen. Fingers crossed that they do something smart with him.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
From SmackDown:

New GM Booker T told Alberto Del Rio at the beginning of the show (who had stated on Raw that he won't wrestle until SummerSlam) that he had a match with Orton. Orton had a backstage interview* with Matt Striker saying that he was glad to be back. The main event was good but Orton won via DQ. He did end up hitting an RKO on ADR after the victory.

My guess is that he'll eventually be fighting for the title again but that he'll have to build up to it, won't be instantaneous. I do think having him around adds more legitimacy to SD and to the WWE at large. He might not have had a major storyline in quite a while but he's still one of the top members of the roster, no doubt.

*Interestingly enough, Matt Striker introduce Orton as returning from being laid off for two months. Strange that they refer to it on TV.