• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Does paying for a mans dinner make a woman disgusting?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Tuesday asserted that men were not living up to their “manly responsibility” by letting women pay for dinner and by not participating in activities like hunting.

Fox News host Tucker Carlson: Women who pay for men’s dinners are ‘disgusting’
I don't think women are disgusting just because they pay for a mans dinner and I don't think it makes him less of a man for letting her. This isn't the stone age where it takes brute strength to provide a meal and many women make just as much or more than men.

I also don't think it has anything to do with down grading manliness. You can still be a man and women can be women no matter who pays for the meal. Unless you are just going out with her for a free meal then that would make you a user.

Personally I think the person that did the asking for a dinner date should pay.

Thoughts?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's not what he said, he said this:

“Men, who on the second date, let their date pay for dinner, I’m sorry that’s disgusting,” he insisted. “And I don’t care. The new norms are — he shouldn’t allow it. Period.”
The MAN is disgusting for letting women pay for his meal. I don't agree it's disgusting but I wouldn't let a woman pay for a meal on the second date, I would pay for it. His point is men are not being men anymore, and to some extent I have to agree with him.

I find it hilarious, but not surprising, that Raw Story would misconstrue what was said, by the way.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I still don't see what's so disgusting about it if she want's to. Sometimes women do want to pay. Maybe they just don't want feel like they owe him something later, that happens.

To some extent I also agree men aren't being men anymore but I don't see where who pays for the meal has anything to do with it.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've said this but maybe I'm just old fashioned and chivalrous but on a second date I would have a hard time letting a woman pay for my dinner. That early on a man should be "courting" a woman, if you will, and should pay. Later on its no big deal.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree I would rather the man pay at least in the beginning. However I'm not everyone and some women might prefer to pay on the second date, I've heard women say this. I really don't think the man should feel like less of a man if she insists and he gives in.

Now if he asked me out on a second date then turned around and said it was my turn to pay I would be upset with that. That would not be the manly thing to do.

ILuvChuzzles31

Registered Member
In a way this coincides with the women proposing to man thread..

In the case of women paying for the mans meal I would not because it would show me i
in the event that the relationship leads to marriage would he be able to support me.

I might pay in the event I knew for a fact he didn't have enough and that I'm not washing dishes to pay the bill:lol: or if it was something we are celebrating in his honor.
Anything after that aboslutely not.

IMO it shouldn't have to matter who has what kind of a job and makes more.
As far as paying just so the man doesn't have to expect anything later on.. Well if he tried then of course you throw him out if you go back to your place and don't go back to his place at all.
Every other place and he tried to do anything well then you know of course you better be ready to defend yourself against rape.

Yet again I agree with you CO..menaren't being men anymore and boy trying to find one these days is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Why don't you start a club on a woman's behalf with men like you so it would be easier to find them.;) :lol:

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I've said this but maybe I'm just old fashioned and chivalrous but on a second date I would have a hard time letting a woman pay for my dinner. That early on a man should be "courting" a woman, if you will, and should pay. Later on its no big deal.
I agree with this, to this day, four years later, I still pay for my girlfriend because I have been brought up in a way where I don't like anyone paying for me.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I am assuming that it was a slow news day? Then again we are talking about Fox news so really what should I expect?

But to the story itself; what I do not understand is where the link in this comes from. Bear - who is a man I respect a great deal, I think he is nuts but damn you have to respect that man - makes a statement about losing touch the ability to hunt etc and too reliant on technology and to be honest, I agree with this; but for this person Tucker who I was going to bad mouth but cannot be bothered expending energy on him to do so is clearly a man just trying to make a name for himself by being as controversial as possible.

I do not believe manliness has gone anywhere or that men have been conditioned in such a way and for this man to come on national TV mouthing off about his misinformed attitude taking a step from something that is unrelated is moronic.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Um, maybe you misread it but you DO understand Raw Story is the one making a mountain out of a molehill, right? All Carlson said was men should pay for dinner on a second date and Raw Story misconstrued what he said. I mean it seems pretty clear once you read the piece.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Ah, traditional gender roles scaring up the Fox faithful again. Female breadwinners? Men being . . . SENSITIVE?

But in all seriousness, this is just more of the standard gender role fare that more and more politically flavored news stations are running these days. In reality, there is no problem who pays for a date, I think we all know that. Some of us grew up with the idea that the man pays which is again, not wrong. But all this bellyaching from conservatives in recent years about women is really getting old.

Also, let's share a laugh over something someone in the comments section brought up about Carlson. He's as white as stereotypical whiteness gets, country club born and raised, his cushy job was no doubt partly gained due to his father's connections there and there's no way he'd ever survive a night in the wild yet he sits there and whines about men not being cavemen anymore.

I think the most offensive part of all of this is the idea that people have a 'place' and being out of that place is a recipe for 'disaster' as they put it.