• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Does Anyone Use DOS Anymore?

Do you ever use DOS?

• Yes, I use it often.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Yes, I use it occasionally.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • I used to use it but haven't for a long time.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No, I've never used DOS in my life.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • What's DOS?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Thermal

Registered Member
I use DOS (technically a virtual dos for nt systems like xp) for mostly administrative purpose, and its really the best way to automate certain mundane tasks.

As far as Java, Sun does produce a windows runtime, as well as a developer kit for those that want to write their own applications. If you prefer not to use the command line to compile java/c++ applications, you should look into an IDE (i.e. Eclipse is a good developer environment).

Visual J# isn't really Java, while it's syntax is the same, but it is design to run on .NET runtime (not Java). It also only supports a relatively old version of the java libraries (I think 1.2), so its not the best IDE/language if you plan on writing portable code that will be run on the java vm. Now if your a Java vet looking to make wave on the .NET vm, than J# is probably the best path to take.

Also, C++ wasn't created by Microsoft, but rather by a man named Bjarne Stroustrup. The C-like language you must be thinking about is C#, which is also a .NET language.

leopard22

Registered Member
Thermal said:
Also, C++ wasn't created by Microsoft, but rather by a man named Bjarne Stroustrup. The C-like language you must be thinking about is C#, which is also a .NET language.
Thanks for the correction, Thermal. Must have been a misprint where I read it or I quoted wrong. I kind of thought it was weird because I remember when people I knew were learning C++ and no one ever said it was a Microsoft thing.

Scuba, interesting that you believe .NET is the future. I'm just in the process of putting together my first website and although it's going to be pretty simple, mostly because I have a lot to learn yet, I'll have to consider that when I decide which options to focus on.

Thanks everyone for the input. It's nice to know DOS still has a place, as it's the one basic (no pun intended) interface I still remember how to use for routine stuff.