Does anyone know how to create a password

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by MenInTights, Apr 27, 2005.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

protected portion of a website?

I am working on a site for a friend who is a home inspector. He wants to be able to upload reports to the site and have people click a button to download reports and enter a password and their report downloads. I've seen this before, but have never done it. Thanks.

2. LicentiousVenus

LicentiousVenus Registered Member

there is software that can get to do that...but i'm sure there is some coding you can enter for free....sorry that i can't be of more help but i haven't done that before

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Make an .htaccess file with the information in it. (Do a search on .htaccess). What server are you running?

4. MenInTights

Ok- thanks for all your help. I am getting close one this. Web design is rather new to me, but I am trying. This is my problem now. I can set up a folder called Reports and password it. However, what I would like to do is have a user enter the folder and only see their report.

For example, I may have
    /reports/jones.pdf
    /reports/bill.pdf
    /reports/frank.pdf

When frank enters a user name, I want his to see his report. I would be happy is the user name was frank and that redirected to .../reports/frank.pdf. Sure frank could enter /bill.pdf, but who cares? Frank will never do that, if he does, he really hasn't seen anything that amazing anyway.

fyi-just downloaded a program for $15 that claimes to do what I need.
    I didn't want anyone doing any research in vain. thanks.

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  5. LicentiousVenus

if that program works tell me...i may need it in the future

6. MenInTights

Didn't work for the guy who owns the site. Too complicated. We are going with password protected .pdf files. Found a free program to do it. Even this guy can handle that task.

7. LicentiousVenus

that sounds like the most simple way to do it...good luck

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Password protected files are the worst way to go. I won't say how to crack them, but I will say that it's very easy. I agree with Franko on this one.

9. MenInTights

Thanks for the comments. When looking for the software to password it, I noticed lots of freeware that would crack .pdf. Even so, the password is more of a feel good anyway. The inspection report will eventually get passed around to the seller, contractors, etc. Even if the seller saw the report ahead of time, it would only allow him to be a little more prepared for negotiations: not really a bad thing.

Thanks for bringing this up. I need to run this by my friend to be sure his reports don't contain any credit card or bank info. That could be a disaster!

Franko, your website is lol funny.

10. MenInTights

I went with Net Object Fusion for this site. My friend has a copy of that, so that is what was best. He likes using the pdf distiller. It's called pdf factor and can do passwords, forms, hyperlinks, ect.