• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV Does anybody NOT watch TV??

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
I don't. Neither me nor my roommate brought a TV to the dorm, and personally, I'm not missing it too much. There are some shows that I enjoy, but I just download them now, and can skip all the bullshit of sitting tranced out in front of the TV, losing hours watching shit I dont even like.

Anybody else not watch TV... or at least have a good reason for watching it...?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Well, what's your good reason for not watching it? Because you can leetch all your shows from an online source? I watch TV because I like to teach myself about culture through it. You can learn so much about our country alone just by watching a few hours of TV.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
My good reason for not watching it is that it takes a lot of time which can be better spent doing almost anything else. The shows I do download are ones I enjoy, and don't have commercials, so not only do I spend less time watching them than if I watched them on TV, but I dont get sucked into watching shows before and after them that I dont care about, simply because they happen to be on and I happen to be already watching.

And not to be insulting, but at some point (probably after the first few hours), it stops being watching it for culture, and starts being a bullshit excuse. Really now.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
A bullshit excuse? Please do explain, master of the universe. You obviously didn't get what I meant. By watching television and seeing how the do commericials, how they place programs, what ads run between what shows, you begin to see how the media molds the population.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
Do you honestly sit down in front of the TV every day thinking "Oh man, I wonder if today's culture has changed drastically through media since the last time I watched TV!" or do you watch TV for the entertainment of it? I understood perfectly what you meant, I just dont believe that that is the reason you watch TV. Or if it is, almost certaintly not the primary one. Given that you have posted opinions on shows in previous TV Mania threads, the case for watching merely for cultural reasons is shrinking quickly. Even on the offchance that culture does happen to be the sole reason you watch TV, I think you dont qualify to answer the question I originally posed, as I was mostly referring to those who watch it somewhat habitually, or at least on a regular basis... and I honestly can not see how very much can be gleaned about culture after the first few hours or so have been watched. Certaintly, any watching on a regular basis is enormous overkill for such a subject.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
SenatorB said:
Do you honestly sit down in front of the TV every day thinking "Oh man, I wonder if today's culture has changed drastically through media since the last time I watched TV!" or do you watch TV for the entertainment of it? I understood perfectly what you meant, I just dont believe that that is the reason you watch TV. Or if it is, almost certaintly not the primary one. Given that you have posted opinions on shows in previous TV Mania threads, the case for watching merely for cultural reasons is shrinking quickly. Even on the offchance that culture does happen to be the sole reason you watch TV, I think you dont qualify to answer the question I originally posed, as I was mostly referring to those who watch it somewhat habitually, or at least on a regular basis... and I honestly can not see how very much can be gleaned about culture after the first few hours or so have been watched. Certaintly, any watching on a regular basis is enormous overkill for such a subject.
Show me the post where I said "I watch TV for the sole purpose of enchancing my knowledge of culture." Can't find it can you? Didn't think so. I never said I do not watch TV for entertainment, you're assuming and assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
The Mercenary said:
I watch TV because I like to teach myself about culture through it.
I ask what good reasons people have for watching TV. You gave a reason. That was the only reason you gave. That would lead one to believe that that is the only reason for why you watch TV... or at least the only good reason. I feel no need to respond to bad reasons that may or may not exist.

Show me the post where you said "I watch TV for entertainment." Can't find it can you? Didn't think so. You're assuming that I knew that, whereas I am going purely by what you said when I made my claims.

I assume you don't kill babies. Is that wrong too? I suppose you never said you didn't kill babies, so it's kind of up in the air... and based on your previous history of doing things you didn't say, I guess you DO kill babies. Now THAT is a fuck-up.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
SenatorB said:
I assume you don't kill babies. Is that wrong too? I suppose you never said you didn't kill babies, so it's kind of up in the air... and based on your previous history of doing things you didn't say, I guess you DO kill babies. Now THAT is a fuck-up.
It could be wrong for all you know because you don't know me. But w/e, this thread is going in the wrong direction. Oh, and you can keep flaming me all you want, but it's grounds for a warning. I was simply arguing and you had to get all middle-school angst on me.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
It isn't flaming, it is proving a point false on grounds of being ridiculous (it's good enough for the US legal system, it's probably good enough for here)... but in any case.

Restatement of original question: Does anybody besides me not watch TV, and if you do watch TV, do you have a good reason for watching it (hint: list all reasons for clarity's sake)?

Sephy

Forum Drifter
Everyone calm down...

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but when I do watch it it's usually on the Discovery Channel or TLC. I like the shows like Modern Marvels and Building The Ultimate. Those shows are awesome and educational.