• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Plug Doc's Famous Deep Dish pizza

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Requirements:

Pillsbury hot roll/pizza dough mix. Here's a link so you know what to get.. Obviously you can use any dough you want but I prefer this one.

A spring pan. This can be subbed out for your favorite pan but I absolutely love this thing.

1lb bag of Kraft shredded cheese (I use the pizza blend of mozzarella and cheddar.

1lb package of ground Italian sausage.

1/4 lb of thin sliced pepperonis from the deli.

1 can of Don Pepino's pizza sauce (yellow can)

Italian seasoning, 1/4 stick of butter, garlic powder, and a small brush.

Instructions:

Brown the sausage before you start. Preheat oven to 400-425 degrees.

Follow the instructions on the box for making the dough. It's pretty simple. Roll it out and line the lightly oiled pan. Stretch to dough to the top of the pan's lip. This creates a pretty badass crust. Take a fork and evenly distribute holes along the curves at the bottom and all the way across. This prevents any air bubbles and allows air to get to the crust to cook the bottom of the pizza.

Layering: Start with half a can of sauce on the bottom and spread it evenly with a spoon. Lightly sprinkle the Italian seasoning and garlic powder on top of the sauce. Evenly distribute the pepperonis over top of the sauce. Apply a layer of cheese so you can barely see the pepperoni/sauce. Sprinkle the ground sausage over top of this, and then cover most of it with cheese again.

Second layer is exactly the same. You'll put the other half of the can of sauce on what you have there, season, and layer just like before. Use up the rest of your cheese on the top layer, put the the last pepperonis on top, and season again if you wish.

Baking:

Put the whole thing in the oven for about five minutes to give the crust a chance to expand. While you're waiting for that take the 1/4 stick of butter and melt it. I usually put enough garlic powder to spread evenly on top of the melted butter and mix it up. Take the brush and brush the mixture on the just-risen crust.

Put it back in the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes. This might take some experimenting depending on how well your oven cooks. The important part is that you don't cook it too slow because the center won't get done and don't' cook it too fast because the crust will burn. So far 400 degrees for half an hour has been the standard for me but you might want to be careful.

When the pizza is done the side crust will be a golden brown. Pull it out of the oven and put the whole thing in a pizza plate, flat tray, and so on. Use caution when removing the pizza from the hot pan (the spring pan makes this super easy). This is when I take the rest of the garlic butter and brush it along the sides and top crust again until it is gone. Let it sit and finish cooking for 10-15 minutes after removing the pan (I take it off as soon as I get it out of the oven). This will make it muuuuuch easier to cut. I usually only cut it into 1/4 pieces. One is enough to fill you up!

Final result:

Elanor

Registered Member
That really does look incredible! Thanks for posting, and the photo was a good idea. I will definitely be buying the ingredients next time I go shopping, or at least the British equivalent. I didn't realise it would be so deep, I can't wait to try it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That does really look good. Think I might be trying that. That picture has my mouth watering, now I am hungry. Thanks for posting.

Doc

V.I.P.
Not a problem! If you have any questions about it just ask!

Elanor

Registered Member
Haven't had the time yet. I was hoping to make it yesterday but ended up having a friend round. One question though, how deep is the pan you use? I have something that I am hoping will be suitable, but if it is too deep I will have to go shopping.

Doc

V.I.P.
It would be hard to make it too deep. My pan was 2.5" deep. It's deeper than a cast iron skillet if that helps.

Also: don't forget to take a fork and poke holes all around the bottom edge towards the outside and cover the whole bottom liberally with holes. It's really important for the crust cooking evenly.

Elanor

Registered Member
My pan is 2.5" so I won't have to worry. If I have time I may make it mid-week, depends on work, but I think it will be worth it :)

Elanor

Registered Member
Tonight I finally made this pizza! It is absolutely amazing!! The crust was a bit more brown than it should of been, not quite burnt, so will need some practice. But the filling was so yummy. Thank you again for sharing Steve, I will definitely be making it again.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This pizza does sound pretty awesome. Did you find the recipe somewhere? Or did you just make it up? I'd love to try it, but I don't think I have a spring pan. I'll have to look around. It's kind of elaborate for a single-serving pizza though.

Put it back in the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes. This might take some experimenting depending on how well your oven cooks. The important part is that you don't cook it too slow because the center won't get done and don't' cook it too fast because the crust will burn. So far 400 degrees for half an hour has been the standard for me but you might want to be careful.
One thing you could try so you don't burn the crust would be to put strips of foil around it to cover the crust while leaving the rest of the pizza uncovered.